International Harvester 74 series

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IH885XLMAN said:

Im dying to have one made by john its simply stunning just name your price )

I’m literally the same ! I have zero time to make one of my own and John has made as good a job as I ever would so thinking of dropping him a message to do another swap ha ha! ! I already owe him a wuffler. For his outstanding mf trailer

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

I want one ;)  Amazing John. Unreal talent. It’s perfectly in scale too ! 

Thanks Sam, I am certainly thinking about having a go at casting as there are a lot more of these smaller nashes I'd like to do

16 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks Sam, I am certainly thinking about having a go at casting as there are a lot more of these smaller nashes I'd like to do

I’ll second you on that mate. Although I’ve decided to leave my castings to the professional.. Dave Towse does mine and I’m about to send him a ruck of stuff to do. I just can’t waste money on trial and error he’s cheap enough and has all the gear and knowledge so I’ll settle for that  L o L. Surely that skid unit complete with the little 4 pot could open up wide range of models combined with new bonnets and cabs etc etc 

9 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

I’ll second you on that mate. Although I’ve decided to leave my castings to the professional.. Dave Towse does mine and I’m about to send him a ruck of stuff to do. I just can’t waste money on trial and error he’s cheap enough and has all the gear and knowledge so I’ll settle for that  L o L. Surely that skid unit complete with the little 4 pot could open up wide range of models combined with new bonnets and cabs etc etc 

My thoughts are to do 3 pot and 4 pot bare engines, gearbox and back axles, as the blocks used in the Internationals from the 74 series right through to the 95's were basically the same, with just slight differences in the position of filters and such on different models. Then as you say, the range of models that could be done is quite vast to say the least!

13 minutes ago, 844john said:

My thoughts are to do 3 pot and 4 pot bare engines, gearbox and back axles, as the blocks used in the Internationals from the 74 series right through to the 95's were basically the same, with just slight differences in the position of filters and such on different models. Then as you say, the range of models that could be done is quite vast to say the least!

Sounds like a worthy investment I’d get the bonnets cast too and axles....  as much as you can... with some work could that 74 skid become a 165 or 185 Massey can’t remember which one. I know there a Perkins they have the Perkins badge on the block somewhere I can rightly remember haven’t been on a Nash for ages now

11 minutes ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Absolutely gorgeous John. Some really nice detail, particularly around the cab with that glazing which looks stunning

Thank you James, the glazing nearly beat me, but got there in the end. I think for future builds I should wear gloves to keep my fingerprints off the glass!

13 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Sounds like a worthy investment I’d get the bonnets cast too and axles....  as much as you can... with some work could that 74 skid become a 165 or 185 Massey can’t remember which one. I know there a Perkins they have the Perkins badge on the block somewhere I can rightly remember haven’t been on a Nash for ages now

The engine in this was used in the 165's, so yes it would be possible. Wrong shade of red for me though!;) I've ordered some casting gear, and I intend to try and cast as many parts of them as possible just so that I can cut my build times!

11 minutes ago, 844john said:

The engine in this was used in the 165's, so yes it would be possible. Wrong shade of red for me though!;) I've ordered some casting gear, and I intend to try and cast as many parts of them as possible just so that I can cut my build times!

Hehe I have a 590 so I’ll ignore that comment ;);) the international we have is yellow 475. I think !! Was only here a day and is at a neighbours now being rebuilt. Let’s just say diesel wasn’t the only thing combusting.... I will say though they were ahead of there time. 674 was a cracking motor. 

I hope you can put my name on any  future order books for the 74 world wide series john coz shes a cracker  its the best ive seen thanks for a good read on here too its been brilliant to watch it evolve 

I for one would love at least the 674  for baling and potato lifting and carting   

And ild love a 454 with ih loader with perry loader attatchment same cabs as u got on your 475 

14 hours ago, 844john said:

She's not doing too bad Martin, hope to have her up to speed by lambing time ( when I then run out of speed):P:D

I was referring to the one your mrs knows about. Haha. Joking aside that is outstanding. 

Thanks all, it's been a bit of an education for me this one as its the first totally scratch built tractor that I've done. I've learnt a lot from this one, and there are areas that I'm not happy with ( mainly down to me not giving the paint enough time to dry!) but on the whole I'm happy with the general build, I just need to be more patient in future. My heads now toying over the most efficient way of casting the next ones as I'm keen to develop a diorama of a medium sized mixed  farm set in the early nineties, using the gear that I remember growing up from the 70's through to the 90's. In fact, plans are already underway for a similar build of a tractor that I have very fond memories of as a young boy, in fact I can still hear the whistle from its exhaust now, a Leyland 282 synchro;)

1 hour ago, 844john said:

Thanks all, it's been a bit of an education for me this one as its the first totally scratch built tractor that I've done. I've learnt a lot from this one, and there are areas that I'm not happy with ( mainly down to me not giving the paint enough time to dry!) but on the whole I'm happy with the general build, I just need to be more patient in future. My heads now toying over the most efficient way of casting the next ones as I'm keen to develop a diorama of a medium sized mixed  farm set in the early nineties, using the gear that I remember growing up from the 70's through to the 90's. In fact, plans are already underway for a similar build of a tractor that I have very fond memories of as a young boy, in fact I can still hear the whistle from its exhaust now, a Leyland 282 synchro;)

since you have mentioned the Leyland 282 , I know one bloke , the valley axeman  will get very excited if you build one of those 

39 minutes ago, dm434 said:

since you have mentioned the Leyland 282 , I know one bloke , the valley axeman  will get very excited if you build one of those 

You could be right there David, I know Paul is a bit of a Leyland man!

46 minutes ago, 844john said:

You could be right there David, I know Paul is a bit of a Leyland man!

I was brought up on them john, 270, 262, 285 and the  272 synchro that is still here, they were all good tractors. Really looking forward to seeing your 282. 

Archived