Book collections

I have found out about a book that appears to be long out of print that I would really like to find, called "SAME tractors from the origins to the present day" by William Dozza and Furio Oldani

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Tractors_SAME.html?id=zgOBAQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

The nearest I can find is in a library in Rome but that is the Italian version and not in English. If anyone ever sees this whilst out and about or at any shows then please get it for me and I will reimburse you

Thanks

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, 844john said:

I too love books and leaflets, have done ever since i was a kid, and i agree, there's something about holding a book that cannot be replaced by reading from a screen. Anyway, here's a few of mine, definitely showing a bias to the reds!

WP_20181017_06_35_07_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181017_06_36_21_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181017_06_37_03_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181017_06_37_25_Pro (2).jpg

The green book on MODERN TRACTORS ,turn to page 20 the j/d 4240S is the one I used to drive for my neighbour on sugar beet , the picture was taken at the Suffolk Show up at Ipswich as it had pulled the brimont trailer up there as he had made a sheet to cover it up by the tractor hydraulics it was a motor mounted on back of trailer which wound in two steel cables running down the top of the sides of the trailer which pulled the sheet back and forth . You can see one of the cables in the picture , it was at the show as it was in the inventive farmer competition cant remember if it won or came second or 3rd    

• Like 8

8 hours ago, smithy said:

The green book on MODERN TRACTORS ,turn to page 20 the j/d 4240S is the one I used to drive for my neighbour on sugar beet , the picture was taken at the Suffolk Show up at Ipswich as it had pulled the brimont trailer up there as he had made a sheet to cover it up by the tractor hydraulics it was a motor mounted on back of trailer which wound in two steel cables running down the top of the sides of the trailer which pulled the sheet back and forth . You can see one of the cables in the picture , it was at the show as it was in the inventive farmer competition cant remember if it won or came second or 3rd    

Will have a look at that when I get chance Smithy, nice to hear a bit of background to the pictures 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I'd share my collection that comes with me from uni house to uni house, most for their reference photos than their literary excellence. Often the books provide more in-depth, or even not at all seen information than internet pages.

IMG_20190803_200256.thumb.jpg.a86f880cba871adea73f157820eb7230.jpg

IMG_20190803_200319.thumb.jpg.72ce4068f0ec7352def00219a928cc63.jpg

David Wrights books are a bible for model making buildings, and his scenery work is very good too, the books give good step by step guides, and have a great focus on achieving realism, discussions on how materials and methods of building change throughout the country, and how the positioning of a building will lead to different weathering effects over time.

IMG_20190803_200346.thumb.jpg.1864a5a308d7ca1cf0116aa37b2d7caf.jpg

Hill Shepherd is the best book I own, quoted by Amanda Owen the Author as 'what got her into farming' it is packed with real life farming photos, nothing censored, nothing staged, just straight up farming, and perfect reference material for making a model sheep farm. The Herdwick Shepherd is a similar book, all be it 25 years newer. Created by the 'twitter shepherd' it feels like a more rounded copy of Hill Shepherd. The photos often feel more staged, they are often poor quality phone images, and the printing is poorer, on matt paper rather than a nice glossy print, still hidden away it contains so very natural photos and proves useful now and then. If anyone knows of any similar books please let me know!

IMG_20190803_202233.thumb.jpg.af5228245577452dce52438e4c455acf.jpg

The Art of The Toy Soldier is a huge book, focused more at the Toy Soldier anorak, but it does contain the odd snippet on Britains Farm Figures, and on their production methods. I'm on the look out for Peter Coles History of Herald and Britains Plastic Figures, which sounds like it contains much more info, I'm just not quite ready to pay £90 for it just yet, especially after spending that much on a History of McLaren steam engines book recently.

Edited by Stabliofarmer
  • Like 7

I agree with you about the Hill Shepherd James, it's a lovely book. I remember buying mine about 30 years ago, together with its companion, Life In The Hills, another one I would strongly recommend if you can come across it.

WP_20190804_05_51_47_Pro.jpg

• Like 4

Found this in a secondhand bookshop. It gives good insight to older farm buildings in the 250 odd pages & is packed with 230 photo's in colour & black/white, some very atmospheric. A good source for farm building modelling & landscapes. Printed back in 1981. One Ted would particularly  enjoy I think.

20190804_064926.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This arrived last week. Was first published in 2011, but looks like there was a reprint in 2019. Something a little different, but having worked for Case-IH and living in Australia as a child, a must have.....

BB32D493-2F7E-41D8-9796-02C7E95720F4.jpeg

C3AD5DF0-EA7D-4E56-98C5-F2007B33473F.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2018 at 7:11 PM, GPS said:

Some great looking books shown above:)

Another two of mine, this time covering Valtra. I picked these up some time ago at the factory in Suolahti. Both are English text.

Valtra 1.JPG

Valtra 2.JPG

I've got this one, on a similar vein, found in a Charity shop for £2.49

20201005_121655.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, 844john said:

another addition to the library;)

WP_20210224_14_30_22_Pro.jpg

I got that book also a few months ago. Its a good book, only the middle pages started to fall out off it in no time. Just beware off that.John, it dont hold together too well or else I just got a bad one ..:D

6 hours ago, justy 46 said:

I got that book also a few months ago. Its a good book, only the middle pages started to fall out off it in no time. Just beware off that.John, it dont hold together too well or else I just got a bad one ..:D

Thanks Justin, no, I know what you mean, I've just ordered another copy of the ford conversions book as quite a number of the pages of the one that i have are falling out as well, mostly of Muir Hill's..... I put it down to long periods sat open on my workbench! I'll take much better care of these two!;)