New 1/32 Universal Hobbies in 2020

AJH

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone think with the situation in China an present, that all these new realises from all model producers ( not just UH) will be delayed by quiet some time . China is on lockdown at the moment over the Cronavirus . Production will be seriously impacted in the long term I would be thinking.

Yes Justy it is looking very, very grim for the Chinese!!   They are now in a horrendous catch 22 position,  if they continue too enforce their quarantines (currently 700 million people:blink:) then the country will destroy itself economically, but if they force the people back to work (as they are trying to do) then the people will just spread the flu further and wider causing more deaths and shutdowns of businesses.  And worse still they have found that people who have recovered can quickly be re infected, it could be a never ending cycle!!  I also heard today that this flu likes warm weather which we normally associate with less flu cases......yikes!

Im afraid this will turn into a problem for everybody and model making in Asian factories will be hit very hard indeed.  I really don't see to many more new models coming this year sadly. 

Im going to focus more on making do with whats already available,  more conversions.

20 minutes ago, bluegreen said:

Yes Justy it is looking very, very grim for the Chinese!!   They are now in a horrendous catch 22 position,  if they continue too enforce their quarantines (currently 700 million people:blink:) then the country will destroy itself economically, but if they force the people back to work (as they are trying to do) then the people will just spread the flu further and wider causing more deaths and shutdowns of businesses.  And worse still they have found that people who have recovered can quickly be re infected, it could be a never ending cycle!!  I also heard today that this flu likes warm weather which we normally associate with less flu cases......yikes!

Im afraid this will turn into a problem for everybody and model making in Asian factories will be hit very hard indeed.  I really don't see to many more new models coming this year sadly. 

Im going to focus more on making do with whats already available,  more conversions.

I think we take it for granted alot off the time , how easy we get things like models and not think about were it all starts and were they come from . Its a terrible situation for the people of  China and will.get alot worse before it gets better in afraid and now the Italians are in trouble..

14 minutes ago, justy 46 said:

I think we take it for granted alot off the time , how easy we get things like models and not think about were it all starts and were they come from . Its a terrible situation for the people of  China and will.get alot worse before it gets better in afraid and now the Italians are in trouble..

My Mrs works at the cargo centre at London Stansted airport. Since the outbreak of the virus all freighter aircraft due in from China have been put on other worldwide routes as there is a much reduced tonnage of freight to bring from China, so I would say we will see a shortage of quite a few things for a little while if this keeps on. 

4 hours ago, justy 46 said:

I would note the number of cases in China have fallen rapidly with the majority being contained in Hubei province.  Outside of Hubei province in China there were only 18 new cases yesterday, so the virus spread seems to be slowing.  

China started to return people to work 2 weeks ago, as Chinese New Year holidays were extended by 1 week.   With more and more business returning to work if they have no cases with employees and can provide sufficient masks.  So some of the fears that the virus would spread rapidly with the return to work of China have not materialized. 

I believe a lot of the model manufacturers are based in Guangzhou in South China and near Shanghai.  So not in the worst affected regions.  

China also has maintained there target of 6% economic growth.  So to achieve this the economic stimulus and liquidity provision will be enormous.  So the catch up from manufacturing will be pretty big.   

So while there will be some delays to new models due to COVID-19, I am sure we will get some new models this year.  

talking to one of the 1/6th scale figure sellers it is going to take 2-3 weeks to get most of the larger factories up and running again as they have to prove they are protecting all the staff from the virus, and it could take smaller factories 6-8 weeks to pass the tests 

17 hours ago, sipher172 said:

I would note the number of cases in China have fallen rapidly with the majority being contained in Hubei province.  Outside of Hubei province in China there were only 18 new cases yesterday, so the virus spread seems to be slowing.  

China started to return people to work 2 weeks ago, as Chinese New Year holidays were extended by 1 week.   With more and more business returning to work if they have no cases with employees and can provide sufficient masks.  So some of the fears that the virus would spread rapidly with the return to work of China have not materialized. 

I believe a lot of the model manufacturers are based in Guangzhou in South China and near Shanghai.  So not in the worst affected regions.  

China also has maintained there target of 6% economic growth.  So to achieve this the economic stimulus and liquidity provision will be enormous.  So the catch up from manufacturing will be pretty big.   

So while there will be some delays to new models due to COVID-19, I am sure we will get some new models this year.  

Well that's good to know. Seems  the media  will always spin the bad side off these situations and never the good. Just hope now that the problem in Italy will also start slowing down .

• 2 weeks later...

had my weeks 3.5 ton trailer arrive today, lovely looking model at first, nice vintage look to the box, the tipping body's screwed down to the chassis for presentation/ postage to save damage, however what really sticks out like a sore thumb ,and frankly pretty much wrecks the model for me is the fu**ing tow bar is upside down, only have to look at the rear pics to see, no way it can be altered without major work, as its cast as part of the chassis frame, well done uh, you have buggered it up again, the things going to sit so low at the front on any hitch it will look stupid 

E449D821-9EAB-4399-97ED-7E4CDDDD2997.jpeg

508B0680-92B5-4F6B-B3E3-755AF31B0D2C.jpeg

You're right Sean, nice box, shame about the contents. It's a pity as the rest of the trailer looks to be a decent job. I was thinking of one one myself, but I don't think I'll bother now.....I suppose you could cut it off and turn it the right way, but really you shouldn't have to 

i don't think it would be easy to solve john, looking at its its all a one piece chassis cast, i may get another to try at some point, ,but i just do not get how they can do it . a small bit yes, but cast a wrong chassis part like that 

Looking at the picture a bit more closely I see what you mean Sean, you're right though, surely someone must have looked at pictures of the real thing at some stage and picked up on the error

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

i don't think it would be easy to solve john, looking at its its all a one piece chassis cast, i may get another to try at some point, ,but i just do not get how they can do it . a small bit yes, but cast a wrong chassis part like that 

Thanks for the heads up Sean, must admit I nearly bought one today..... I won't be now though.

Firstly thanks for the heads up Sean. 

Probably like many on here, a model that I was looking at purchasing, a lovely period UK 60-70's piece of agricultural equipment.   

I often back up UH, and when they get it right, I still think they produce excellent models, however they are inconsistent, and regularly seem to release one of these complete botch ups!

Just don't understand how it gets from the initial drawings/plans - to such a cock up at the end of the process?

Knowledge of the real equipment that they decide to produce must be pretty much none existent, not to mention poor quality control...... 

Very disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, JEP said:

Firstly thanks for the heads up Sean. 

Probably like many on here, a model that I was looking at purchasing, a lovely period UK 60-70's piece of agricultural equipment.   

My sentiments exactly, was looking forward to this model, but I’ll give it a miss now.

Thanks for sharing Sean!

Thanks for sharing Sean.. I would have bought one too but will now give it a miss hopefully they won't sell and uh can fix the problem and release a new batch.. Pass the cornflakes

Archived