People tend to forget in the modern age just how much of a debt we owe to Horses in the past. As said, they have suffered on the battle fields in the face of carnage, and they have also pulled the agricultural machinery that helped feed us all, they delivered the milk, the beer, collected the wares for the rag and bone men, worked in the pits and mines in mostly back breaking work.

How sad it is today to see some breeds, like the Suffolk punch and the Clydesdale on the endangered list.

People tend to forget in the modern age just how much of a debt we owe to Horses in the past. As said, they have suffered on the battle fields in the face of carnage, and they have also pulled the agricultural machinery that helped feed us all, they delivered the milk, the beer, collected the wares for the rag and bone men, worked in the pits and mines in mostly back breaking work.

How sad it is today to see some breeds, like the Suffolk punch and the Clydesdale on the endangered list.

AND they hauled the rubbish carts.  Even in the early fifties the dustmen still came round with horse-drawn refuse wagons.  When I walked to school it was normal on collection days to pass the (working) horse trough where the horses were changed over and given a feed. They always had one in the shafts and one on a lead behind.  In snow and ice the spare would be hitched to the front on traces to help haul the cart uphill.  I was only 5 when  a lorry took over - to my disappointment.  It wasn't long before the lovely stone water roughs were decommissioned. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A friend of mine from my teenaged years in school passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer . Most of ye all would know him as Liam Miller . We all looked up to him as he had a successful soccer career playing for the likes of Glasgow Celtic , Man UTD and international soccer with the Rep of Ireland . He was a local lad & one of the lads . He will be sadly missed & leaves a wife & 3 children behind . RIP Liam .

36 minutes ago, justy 46 said:

A friend of mine from my teenaged years in school passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer . Most of ye all would know him as Liam Miller . We all looked up to him as he had a successful soccer career playing for the likes of Glasgow Celtic , Man UTD and international soccer with the Rep of Ireland . He was a local lad & one of the lads . He will be sadly missed & leaves a wife & 3 children behind . RIP Liam .

Sad news, I just read about it on the BBC Sport website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Whats the going hourly rate of pay for tractor driving Gav,  experienced and novices?

Cut a piece of string, some are on minimum wage and others are on a damn good rate but sometimes there’s still a house included in the pay. 

6 hours ago, b_emmons said:

so wish I could be a farm hand :)

I wouldn't swap what I do for anything else, and in many ways farming is more a way of life than a job, the hours worked are often huge, the conditions in winter are frequently appealing and no doubt in contravention of some EU human rights, ;)but you have to really want to do it. Like many things in life, it can often look appealing from the outside, but once the reality of the job sets in many people I've met over the years soon realise that it's not for them. However, for me, on a lovely late Spring morning, with the lambs all away in the fields, cattle turned out , and the constant soundtrack of the Peewits, Curlews, Snipe down on the wetland and the Skylark singing his beautiful song, if heaven is a patch on this then I'll be happy! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 844john said:

I wouldn't swap what I do for anything else, and in many ways farming is more a way of life than a job, the hours worked are often huge, the conditions in winter are frequently appealing and no doubt in contravention of some EU human rights, ;)but you have to really want to do it. Like many things in life, it can often look appealing from the outside, but once the reality of the job sets in many people I've met over the years soon realise that it's not for them. However, for me, on a lovely late Spring morning, with the lambs all away in the fields, cattle turned out , and the constant soundtrack of the Peewits, Curlews, Snipe down on the wetland and the Skylark singing his beautiful song, if heaven is a patch on this then I'll be happy! 

I enjoy working outside in the fresh air :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

An MBE Smithy? You don't get them for doing nothing, she must have been a wonderful person. My grandfather got an MBE as he raised money for a hospital league of friends for over 30 years, I know that a lot of hard work went into that honour

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, robbo said:

An MBE Smithy? You don't get them for doing nothing, she must have been a wonderful person. My grandfather got an MBE as he raised money for a hospital league of friends for over 30 years, I know that a lot of hard work went into that honour

Yes when my father passed away at the age of 50 in 1980 my mother took up looking after the village as a neighbour hood watch person and built up a good relationship with the Police and other groups the hole village relied on here to look after there houses when away on holidays and take in parcels and chase the door to door sellers away haha  the village all secretly put her name forward for a honour which she got and was proud off and I am now looking after it for her its worth about £65 to a collector and I have paid tax on it to the govement as it was a gift but to me its priceless. Don't now if its still on YouTube and don't now hu put it on but I think it is called nutty women from Ringshall  and that's my mother Bless her  we all called her PC PAM and so did all the village :)      

Edited by smithy
addered more words
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, Tractorman810 said:

The very sad news via facebook today that warner hall has passed away ,one of the origonal toytrac founders way back when,and of course proper britains farm model development guy  way back when stuff was done proper before ertl 

Yes was told this sad news last week , he would not have really know me but on two accessions when I stayed down at Wincanton on the sunday night after Toytrac  myself and Martyn  went to the local supermarket on the Monday morning for breakfast and bumped into Warner getting his breakfast so we shared a table . Glad that I did get to meet him but will be missed at the next Toytrac. 

• 2 months later...

The anouncment that mad cow disease  has been found in a herd in scotland , can remember it back last time it was down here, huge fires burning to get rid of the caucus’s of the cattle put down , and the smell that hung over the area for days after , hopefully its not a major outbreak  

• Sad 2