Gin Horse Engine House

JC

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great Jas lools like you are a fine mason 8) 8)

do you just plum up very block or have a curved wooden profile , to follow ???

Quite High tech Mark, a peg in the ground and a piece of string to scribe the the original radius  ::), once the first few courses were in it was just a case of trying the level against it every now and again.

Here is the last shot before the scaffold went up.....

mar18009.jpg

ah can see why the planning dept were mulling this application over jas , it takes a brave man to attempt an extension to blend in with an original building such as the one you have , looks like it's all go with you at the moment & it certainly looks like the going is good .

is that a new pup ?

well Jas you are doing a fantastic job . would put a lot of stone masons work to shame. want is the room going to be , hope not a kitchen ;) would be fun to put units and work tops in :D :D .  is there to be a second floor ??? ???

It's going to be a living room Mark, only one floor too I'm afraid.  :(

As for the bit about it being fun fitting kitchen units.... the actual kitchen is the ground floor..... and it is round!

It's going to be a living room Mark, only one floor too I'm afraid.  :(

As for the bit about it being fun fitting kitchen units.... the actual kitchen is the ground floor..... and it is round!

oh right ::) ::) bet not ask if you've fitted any corner shelfs then ;)

A question the mill don't look that big ( maybe i am wrong )where do you save your farm and truck collection?

Texas

It's quite decieving Bas, I have seated 26  :o people in my kitchen for Christmas lunch in the past!

march27012.jpg

ah can see why the planning dept were mulling this application over jas , it takes a brave man to attempt an extension to blend in with an original building such as the one you have , looks like it's all go with you at the moment & it certainly looks like the going is good .

is that a new pup ?

It is Marcus, we have two of them....

Holly (about 4 1/2 months old)

march27013.jpg

Alfie (about 5 1/2 moths old)

march27014.jpg

can you get out onto the roof then jas?? as  i recon theres a hell of a view from up there

You can Sean, although I don't very often..... last time any guests went up there a game of "glass bottle shooting" ensued! A bit like clay pigeons, only using budweiser bottles!

What a lovely project and must be so satisfying doing it yourself.

Straying a little but there is a croft house about a mile from me with 18 acres of land. It went up for auction back in 1986 with expected offers around ? 30k. I was interested since in addition to the land there was a traditional croft steading. I had plans for setting up a caravan park and the steadings for my collection of vintage stuff. I backed out 2 days before the auction since the house didn't get a good survey and basically needed rebuilding. Anyway I went to the sale at the auction mart in Aberdeen and it sold for just under ? 60k. A local slater bought it. He was there himself in working clothes, no solicitor to bid for him and the cheque book sticking out of his hip pocket ;D ;D Anyway the house was totally demolished apart from a couple of walls since I recall grants were still available at that time. Since that time he has added on a 2 storey turret at the end which looks impressive. I kick myself each time I drive or walk past there... it should have been mine >:(

I will try and get a photo and post up as a separate topic if you are interested ???

ment to ask jas, given your daytime trade are you using reclaimed stone for the outside?? or new mate, as it matches very well size wise, just wondered if the council stipulated anything to that effect ie old  or new

if i could get on the roof of there i would do every day in the summer, must have acracking view as going by other pics your quite high up on a hill to

ment to ask jas, given your daytime trade are you using reclaimed stone for the outside?? or new mate, as it matches very well size wise, just wondered if the council stipulated anything to that effect ie old  or new

if i could get on the roof of there i would do every day in the summer, must have acracking view as going by other pics your quite high up on a hill to

Yes Sean, the stone came from my own yard and had to be passed before it could be used.... they didn't want a perfect match because they want the extension to look like it was added at a later date and not part of the original building, but they did want to see a similar type of weathering of the stone but to a lesser degree.

Nice job Jason - you're pretty handy with a trowel as well  ;)

I reckon he's trying to take credit for Mrs P's work - as usual!  ::)

But seriously - great to see the project finally under way Jason. I know how frustrated you've been with the delays over the years. Isn't it amazing how quickly things can happen when you find a bureaucrat who actually knows what they are supposed to be doing, instead of one who just wants to cover their backside.

Hope to see it in the flesh someday soon!