Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That are some vere good pictures you have made 8)  Like the first from the new holland and the case with the valtra most.

Texas

Thank you Bas. The weather has restricted any further photographic travels recently, there's been some very heavy rain around locally. Really enjoyed finding the 2188, very impressive looking combine. I know Ertl produced a very basic model of that type but i'd love to see high detail 1/32nd example of an older Axial Flow. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Monsieur Derwent is really spoiling us!!! Those 36's are a wide old combine, a formidable looking machine and quite an appetite even by today's standards. Lovely low light shots, David  :)

Thanks for your very kind feedback Tris, always appreciated, although i'll admit those last two have undergone a small amount of editing just to soften the glare and bring out the combines features a little more.

They really are magnificent and very purposeful looking combines the big old TX and TF machines, definitely huge favourites of mine.

....and yes they are rather wide. :)

DSC08748.jpg

I spent a lot of time photographing the TX-36 and out of the two hundred or so photographs I took many on this occasion were focused around the backdrops in contrast to filling the lens with metal. The final field I started snapping in you couldn't see from the level of the main road in the bottom of the vale.

DSC08742.jpg

DSC08779.jpg

.....Almost forgot, the other half of New Holland's headliners from yesteryear.

DSC08368.jpg

DSC08388.jpg

DSC08402.jpg

DSC08427.jpg

• 10 months later...

Harvest 2011 in my neck of the "winter barley woods" is go!

At least three farms in the Vale of Pickering made a start to their winter barley crops mid-week just before the rain arrived and here's my first efforts at capturing the action, in this instance a New Holland CX740 on thursday evening.

P1070703.jpg

P1070712.jpg

P1070710.jpg

P1070716.jpg

P1070727.jpg

P1070732.jpg

the dry spring and early summer clearly hasn't done them any favors crop wise thats for sure

No favours at all looking at some of the crops ready to be felled around here. I caught up with the same combine on friday afternoon too, before the rain set in.

P1070744.jpg

P1070801.jpg

P1070804.jpg

P1070816.jpg

P1070832.jpg

P1070825.jpg

Nice clear shots you have taken Walter,these modern nh combines seem popular and look smart too

Thanks Jamie, appreciated. Whilst personally I prefer searching for and photographing the older combines such as the TX36 and TF46 there's no denying the more modern machines are very photogenic, really enjoyed taking a few snaps of this CX740 and i'm hoping to catch up with several more CX and CR machines that work locally over this year's harvest :)

Brilliant  :)

It's on the go down here too now, a few pieces of barley have come off. I am yet to see much actually in progress though.  :(

Thanks Tris, appreciated. Since I took these photographs i've seen a few other barley fields in my local area with the headlands taken off but not much else in light of some very heavy showers and thunderstorms which have delayed any further progress. The big CX8080 I photographed last year has got stuck into a few acres along with the Massey Ferguson 40 Auto Level that I found a couple of years previous. Once they get going again i'll definitely be out and about chasing after them. :)

smashing pictures from our own ower on the land winner.

I reckon i've got some way to go before I match the standard of some of winning photographs featured in recent year's competitions Ol. Although I am proud to say I have a couple of runner's up pictures residing in this topic. Thanks again for your very kind comments. :)

Great pictures, much to wet on this side for harvesting, the barly is ready and wheat has a wile to go.

Thanks Erik, really appreciated. The weather has cut short any further harvest action around here, plenty farms I know of are are all set once it drys up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After my initial sighting of the New Holland CX740 I haven't really had much opportunity to get and about due to being swamped with work and problems at the flat I live. Harvest is well under way in the Vale of Pickering with the majority of farms tucking into winter barley and oilseed rape thanks to a recent run of dry weather.

Before I post a few action shots here's a selection of photographs I took of some classic harvesting machines when I visited a local dealer's yard my Dad was preparing some shed bases for.

First up a selection of John Deere machines.

P1070947.jpg

P1070975.jpg

P1070964.jpg

P1070959.jpg

Nice photos as usual David but I think a Class engineer or mechanic is needed to inspect the handbrake on that older Claas ;);D

Thanks Bill, wondered whether anyone would notice the rather large rock underneath the front wheel, I believe it had only just arrived at the yard that day. For anyone's curiosity it's an old Dominator 80. :)

Er David ....I stand to correct you on large rock....that is just a small stone as we would call it in Aberdeenshire...here is what we call a rock or maybe even a big "stien"(stone) ;) ;)

ST833329.jpg

Er David ....I stand to correct you on large rock....that is just a small stone as we would call it in Aberdeenshire...here is what we call a rock or maybe even a big "stien"(stone) ;) ;)

Very true Bill barely a pebble compared to that. A little bit like saying the old Dominator 80 is large when there are machines like this roaming the land. Didn't think I'd find one of these hiding behind a hedgeback so close to home. What a monster! :)

P1080009.jpg

Whilst it was great to photograph all those classic era combines followed by the shiny new Lexion 770, they all share the same flaw, they're stood still, so here's one that isn't. My friend's ageing Claas Dominator 98s getting stuck into oilseed rape last evening.

P1080039.jpg

P1080074.jpg

P1080061.jpg

P1080091.jpg

P1080096.jpg

P1080089.jpg

Archived