Robbo's Travels 2012 and beyond

robbo

A few miles down the road was an entirely different class of machine, I have seen this tractor driving through the town but never got close enough before to photograph it

Tractors034.jpg

Tractors033.jpg

The Scots will be happy, a Stewart trailer

Tractors032.jpg

There is no export version as such, Steiger had plenty of choice with different engines and models with 3 pt linkages or without and PTO. Offchurch were the UK importers since 75-76 I believe? Were also sold on the continent but in France they had their own Vandel's which were Steigers really and in Hungary they had Rába which is also Steiger based. After Ford started shifting their FW's little remained of Steiger's popularity as it was the same tractor for less money.

Case/Tenneco also exported 4wd rigid and artic tractors to Europe.

I wasn't expecting to see that Steiger tucked away in there! :of

Neither was I when he said "I have got a lime green one in the shed", not many people round here have tractors as large as that. I will be going back later in the year to try and capture it in action.

Hi Howard

the Steiger is just north of Warrington on the road to Leigh in the village of Golborne if you know it. The Fendt is also just outside of the town on the road to St Helens, you can see the farm from the M62 just before junction 7 westbound.

• 2 weeks later...

robbo, you are right i am a plank, need to log on to this site more then once every six months, hell its a new site now, when did that happen

that SX95 is a early one, with the wrong decals, its had a dulux overhaul, still nice tractor

i remeber seeing a SX75 4wd with cab in the PF mag in the 80's too, with a sprayer, you think the SX95 is rare, try finding that SX75!

now were are this SAME pics, i gunna start digging

And now for something completely different!!!

Burtonwood Airbase was once the largest American Airbase in Europe and was the main distribution centre for just about everything that they needed. However, it closed about 10 years ago and is now being developed for everything from industrial units to a new village called Chapelford with it's own school and shopping centre.

As you might expect there are a number of house builders on the site and today one of them decided to have an open day. Because of the American connection they invited the local branch of the American Car Owners Club to come along and show off their vehicles.

Now whilst this isn't tractor related I had my camera with me so I just had to stop and have a chat, they did get revenge by taking my picture with the Police car for their magazine :-[:-[ :-[

AmericanCars025.jpg

AmericanCars020.jpg

AmericanCars024.jpg

AmericanCars027.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the tractors and something I don't see very often round here, carrot harvesting!

The east side of Warrington is quite light and sandy, probably very similar to Lord Ferguson's black topsoil where it joins up with the area known as Risley Moss and seems to be good for root crops although the area is quite small.

This farm is visible just off the M6 between the Thelwall viaduct and the M62 junctions and when I saw them I just had to go and have a look.

They are apparently contractors from Yorkshire, some of our members from that side of the Pennines may know them, M H Poskitt http://www.poskittcarrots.co.uk/ the home of the happy carrot ;D ;D ;D and they have about 40 tractors working in 3 gangs. They drove the tractors over here last Sunday from Selby and it took them 6 hours to get here, needless to say they didn't use the M62 ::) ::)

Anyway, on to the photos, these are being grown on contract to Asda and are going to a processing plant in Lancashire.

Valtra T182, the driver loved this tractor and said it would outpull anything of a similar size

010-8.jpg

009-8.jpg

There were 2 Deutz tractors taking turns on the trailer

011-8.jpg

012-8.jpg

003-10.jpg

002-12.jpg