My Collection

844john

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jack390 said:

Never cease to a amaze with your work John , how did you make those straw bales if you don’t mind me asking, they’re spectacular 

Thanks Jack, I can’t take the credit for those, I used James’s method as a basis to do them(Stabilofarmer) 👍

3 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks Jack, I can’t take the credit for those, I used James’s method as a basis to do them(Stabilofarmer) 👍

Ah yes I used the same method to make about 100 conventional bales…. Will have to try it with the bigger bales. 

10 hours ago, Jack390 said:

Ah yes I used the same method to make about 100 conventional bales…. Will have to try it with the bigger bales. 

The only problem I found Jack is that I couldn’t get a good colour by dying the sisal (which might have been down to the particular type that I was using?). I ended up just chopping the sisal and baling it, then I gave each bale a light spray of yellow followed by an even lighter dusting of white. It seemed to give a good match to our real straw bales, plus it had the benefit of stiffening the sisal slightly so that it was less fluffy at the ends

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 844john said:

The only problem I found Jack is that I couldn’t get a good colour by dying the sisal (which might have been down to the particular type that I was using?). I ended up just chopping the sisal and baling it, then I gave each bale a light spray of yellow followed by an even lighter dusting of white. It seemed to give a good match to our real straw bales, plus it had the benefit of stiffening the sisal slightly so that it was less fluffy at the ends

Interesting, I’ll give that a try when I get round to doing some 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Wow John.... Every credit to you... Hard to tell in some of them photos if it's models or real deal... Stunning photos 👍

Thanks very much Paul, you can’t beat natural light where possible👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SirTainly said:

that lightboard, held on at a jaunty angle by probably baler twine, coupled with the natural light - awesome realism, nice job!

Thank you Simon, I’ve never yet seen a lighting board that’s tied on sitting level🤣 It is actually baker twine that I’ve used, but just a single thread of it👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JEP said:

Again, absolutely stunning 😲

Would love an hour or two walking around that yard, looking at all those classics!!

Keep them coming John.

Thanks very much John, I wouldn’t mind the real ones all in our yard😉