Coppice Acre Farm

Ferret90

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fordmajor said:

Ted you should display @  Spalding . Toy Trac. Lakeland 

I might try and exhibit at toytrac next year , I will probably make a separate diorama with some of my buildings on rather than my main one as I think it would be a nightmare to transport ;) 

transport is part of the reason ash trees being revamped, so i could take all or part of it to shows,  but to do this i will need to poss shink the overall size and make new portable yard areas to fit them round  , almost a new layout away from the one in the loft. right now thats what is putting me off, i just don't have the time . i have plenty of good plastic crates to move the buildings in which stack easily and recon with padding added they would be ok for the buildings and tractors etc, i have a purpose built one for all my combines so could use the same idea for the tractors etc as well .

I’ve got the stonework sort of done . I’m not entirely sure about it but it is hard to get plastic to look like stone . I think I need a bit more variety but it’s good enough for now. The most realistic stone - is stone it’s self :lol:  my next thing is tiles / slates . Locally , a lot of 17th- 18th century buildings had limestone tiles, similar to the Cotswolds. However these generally form the lower courses of the roof and there are no buildings with roofs entirely clad in them ( probably due to the weight ) . They were often at the bottom of thatch as well and there are a few barns that are half tiled as the thatch has been replaced. I’m trying out some different methods but I haven’t found one I like yet. A lot of buildings are also slate. I will keep trying until I get something that looks good :) 

130DC8F1-DCB4-461B-BB96-0B140B5A05E4.thumb.jpeg.bc7809bbc679fb6daf0a57d8429b271a.jpegDB59F7C8-0C09-4214-8047-32AE29022C37.thumb.jpeg.07ea246975e718647cb65a65bdb8e0ea.jpeg6C8785C8-FF84-44A6-9469-269B45BC1A67.thumb.jpeg.d2bc61b29f1441b84155438f3ee586b0.jpeg16F33F63-46AC-4A6B-912D-93A262FE81BE.thumb.jpeg.668db55bad8c6bbf93129282ef2a8567.jpeg840479F2-F29F-4667-905E-14BD6A413FC2.thumb.jpeg.82fa7812ab28cd2864044bf448a449c2.jpeg

Looking good there Ted, following your progress with great interest. A lot of late Victorian slate around here. Last photo looks like your're right on course with the slate. Biggest problem here is nail/lathe rot, the Welsh slate will last the same time again. Will grab you a couple of photo's when it gets light.

15 hours ago, Awdmac said:

Looking good there Ted, following your progress with great interest. A lot of late Victorian slate around here. Last photo looks like your're right on course with the slate. Biggest problem here is nail/lathe rot, the Welsh slate will last the same time again. Will grab you a couple of photo's when it gets light.

Cheers paddy, yes a lot of the thatch has been replaced by slates down here . You can generally tell as they have a really steep pitch  :) 

On 11/16/2019 at 6:28 AM, Awdmac said:

Few shots as promised Ted. The smaller roof has been re-lathed & slate turned. Larger roof is due same treatment, rotten nails allowing a bit too much slippage now. Added a window shot for good measure.IMG_0838.thumb.JPG.a78482cafa76a4adb34c6e5835eb0411.JPGIMG_0839.thumb.JPG.e24680368f80aa2846566b7883ef2d9f.JPGIMG_0842.thumb.JPG.e6692edaf5df600a838eb4933e6444fe.JPGIMG_0843.thumb.JPG.5b24d9fc800a27e936bbd82edf71a6da.JPG

On 11/17/2019 at 10:46 AM, Awdmac said:

Few shots as promised Ted. The smaller roof has been re-lathed & slate turned. Larger roof is due same treatment, rotten nails allowing a bit too much slippage now. Added a window shot for good measure.

Cheers mate, very interesting :) I didn’t realised they turned the slates over, looks like the roof has bowed in a bit. How old is the barn? Victorian?

Place is Victorian Ted. Yes a bit of a bow :lol:, original timbers all good inside so left it alone. Whole place needs tlc, working my way through it, trying to keep originality though 10' gate holes are now 12', a 10' cultivator doesn't fit very easily through a 10' gate :huh:.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done. I have followed your work, and probably have missed some of your postings, however the quantity and craftsmanship is amazing from the photos. I may have missed it, but I often wonder as to the overall dimensions of your layout? 

20 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Brilliant work Ted, you certainly have the touch with dioramas, love the threshing shed! I live in one so a bit biased, mines wooden so might be a bit easier to model! One day!!

Cheers Alastair, lots of coffee stirrers :D

21 hours ago, Dusty Dan said:

Very nicely done. I have followed your work, and probably have missed some of your postings, however the quantity and craftsmanship is amazing from the photos. I may have missed it, but I often wonder as to the overall dimensions of your layout? 

Thanks Corky, its about   6ft   x   1.5ft - not very big but its the best I can do with space. Its good though as I can get to all areas which I've noticed is a problem on some bigger layouts:)

Archived