Paint colours

JC

Question

As it seems quite a few people are getting into this converting and building lark I thought it might be an idea to have a colour reference topic, maybe it will help a few of us along with getting a close match colour off the shelf for a particular brand.

If you've used a particular "off the shelf" colour to match up to a particular brand and you don't mind sharing it with others then please post it up here.

• Like 1

I use quite a bit of Hycote paint, mainly because its available from the motorspares shop at the end of my road at work but at three quid a can its a lot cheaper and easier than locating a dealer with the right colour and paying the ?8+ that the dealer will normally charge.

Three I have to hand as I bought them today, not perfect matches but close enough.....

Simba  -                  Ford Vista Pheonix orange

Kverneland red  -      Volkswagen Mars red (No2)

Joskin Green  -          Ford signal green

not spot on but the red plastikote is a good match for any massey refurbishment

the plastikote silver is a good alloy trailer body as it gives a dull shine not a brilliant shine

the black plastikote is good for chassis

best bit about these plastikote sprays are that they are very quick drying

All available in 12ml tinlets (Humbrol/Revell size) from us (SCALEdown Models) all specially mixed or decanted from original colour enamels:

ALLIS CHALMERS,NUFFIELD,FORDSON E27N & E1A oranges.

DOWDESWELL, JD, FIELD MARSHALL, Wartime FORDSON N, VOLVO, MUNKTELL,IVEL & LANDROVER greens.

FORDSON Empire, Imperial, Oxford,FORD Tractor,LEYLAND Light & Dark,NEW HOLLAND "new" & RANSOMES Nacton blues.

INTERNATIONAL, VICON,VOLVO, NEW HOLLAND, MF Super, CASE-IH reds.

FORDSON Ind, FORD Const, BOMFORD,TRACK MARSHALL, JD,JCB- current,New Holland CLAYSON yellows.

FORDSON Major (New Perf.),FERGIE,MF Stoneleigh, MARSHALL Light & FORDSON "F " & FORD Tractor greys.- the one that looks white (5000 etc)

DB Ivory/Orchid, NUFFIELD Old English,Plain whites.

DB Chocolate,Matt Chocolate browns.

VICON Light Straw (Cream)

MARSHALL Dusk Pink (Thrasher etc)

Matt Pale Green: canvas cladding etc (Nuffield cushions)

PINK, Buff & Grey primers

DULL BLACK for gear knobs/Steering wheels etc (ie low sheen, half matt/gloss)

' hope these may help.

After serching for paint for my 1455XL, went and got some red and white in spray cans of the correct colours, made by Sparex.  Went on their website and found the catalogue with loads of other colours of most makes and model in 1L tins and some in 400ml spray cans.

I don't think you can buy direct as it says "to the trade only", but I guess if you find the colour you want, write the number down and phone them for the local dealer, then order it from them.

Each can of 400ml cost me ?7.61 (inc.VAT).

http://www1.gb.sparex.com/Sparex.aspx?PageID=0&PageAction=ShowCataloguePage&R=70300_AA08_2&Mode=

Sparex Limited            U.K. Sales Direct Lines

Exeter Airport            Tel: 01392 441338

Exeter                      FreeFax: 0800 0185027

Devon                      Email: uksales@sparex.co.uk

EX5 2LJ

Hope this is useful  :)

After serching for paint for my 1455XL, went and got some red and white in spray cans of the correct colours, made by Sparex.  Went on their website and found the catalogue with loads of other colours of most makes and model in 1L tins and some in 400ml spray cans.

I don't think you can buy direct as it says "to the trade only", but I guess if you find the colour you want, write the number down and phone them for the local dealer, then order it from them.

Each can of 400ml cost me ?7.61 (inc.VAT).

http://www1.gb.sparex.com/Sparex.aspx?PageID=0&PageAction=ShowCataloguePage&R=70300_AA08_2&Mode=

Sparex Limited            U.K. Sales Direct Lines

Exeter Airport             Tel: 01392 441338

Exeter                       FreeFax: 0800 0185027

Devon                       Email: uksales@sparex.co.uk

EX5 2LJ

Hope this is useful   :)

know where they are, that place is huge, may pop in next time i am up there see if they do mb trac colours

you mannage to master uploading the pic yet baz ?

if you open the photos on your PC with "ms paint"

then hold the "ctrl" key and the "w"key an option comes

up you can reduce the size ,If i were you I would go 50 %

and then try and upload them or email them to a moderator  ;) ;)

I was wondering if anyone know's of the best type and shade of paint to use on the Britain's Muledozer No 9535. I have one boxed but one of the lugs on the side is broken and I intend trying to mend it now I have acquired an unboxed one from Ebay last week but has some paint flake.

Marston Ford and Bunnings blue

For my scissor lift  have used vauxhall regatta blue for the paint job and i will use this on the next Marston dump convo and maybe a respray of my 6600 loader as i have never been convinced about the preferred forums choice of paint Rover Tahiti blue.

Personally when i have used it it has come out dark navy

Check the contrast between high tip and dump in the pictures

Probably be banned from here for such a comment :D

Ade

Marston Ford and Bunnings blue

For my scissor lift  have used vauxhall regatta blue for the paint job and i will use this on the next Marston dump convo and maybe a respray of my 6600 loader as i have never been convinced about the preferred forums choice of paint Rover Tahiti blue.

Personally when i have used it it has come out dark navy

Check the contrast between high tip and dump in the pictures

Probably be banned from here for such a comment :D

Ade

use white primer for it mate, as its a lot better , not being rude but are you two colours metallic???? they look like it in the pics you posted thats all,

Thanks for the tips guys

No probs in being rude

certainlly the rover blue was metalic but the vauxhall one was normal on the side of the tin to quote a phrase

White primer is a good tip

Ade

they do a non metalic to mate, may be worth looking out for

In my experience with paint jobs, if you have a light undercoat and a dark top coat you will have the effect of the lightness of the under coat always visible through the paint efectively making it a lighter shade than it actualy is, if that makes sense. Dark top coat needs a dark under coat to deepen it to it's true colour and light undercoat for light top coat otherwise you need a lighter shade of the top coat on the light under coat to create a colour 'bleed' barrier and then your darker top coat.

In my experience with paint jobs, if you have a light undercoat and a dark top coat you will have the effect of the lightness of the under coat always visible through the paint efectively making it a lighter shade than it actualy is, if that makes sense. Dark top coat needs a dark under coat to deepen it to it's true colour and light undercoat for light top coat otherwise you need a lighter shade of the top coat on the light under coat to create a colour 'bleed' barrier and then your darker top coat.

yes it can mate,i have found it depends on what colour your spraying over to, these britains marstons differ ,the green harder to cover than the red for a start???? dont know why, but the red seem to come out better in white primer, the green in grey before any top coat,may be the paint they use i dont know

The only time i've ever used white primer is under yellow :o :o :o

Mind you I do buy grey primer in cases of 12 ::) ::)::) ::)

i never used to till i had read the lable that hangs at halfords, it lists the primer you use for each colour, and it does make a difference i must say, weird but true

i never used to till i had read the lable that hangs at halfords, it lists the primer you use for each colour, and it does make a difference i must say, weird but true

It certainly does make a difference to Rover Tahiti blue, it comes out much lighter with the white primer beneath it than with red or grey. For much of my spraying now I tend to use the yellow filler primer though