Whats on your workbench???

Liking that James.  There are some copies of these out there, well that's what I bought some as.

They are identical to the Airfix version but no markings as far as I can remember, but are the Airfix ones marked?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super6 said:

They are identical to the Airfix version but no markings as far as I can remember, but are the Airfix ones marked?

None of the Airfix ones I've got have any markings on the cab, or the chassis/body. All of them are very poorly cast on the cabs, with a lot of flash, and and are moulded in a dark green plastic. Much better casting on the body, presumably as theres alot fewer curves than in the cab so its easier to line the mould parts up.

17 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

None of the Airfix ones I've got have any markings on the cab, or the chassis/body. All of them are very poorly cast on the cabs, with a lot of flash, and and are moulded in a dark green plastic. Much better casting on the body, presumably as theres alot fewer curves than in the cab so its easier to line the mould parts up.

I must track down a couple of those cabs. They'd make a great farm truck on a 1960s diorama.

36.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/4/2018 at 7:25 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

They do indeed, Reg Grey has done one near identical to great effect. Damien (JCB Bloke) kindly gave me a few cabs and I have plans for all, a wooden bodied livestock lorry and a timber tractor are next on the list.

Meanwhile this builds coming together rapidly

IMG_20180704_192223.thumb.jpg.eb8c19acd5dd4b703ab14edf6f2051ba.jpg

Great stuff....saw this and wondered if it might appear on your work bench at some point:

p17test2gkv58mp0non140a1qae4.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, yes, I think you're right, pretty sure I've seen more pictures of this on Facebook a few years ago come to think of it.

It looks to be a Leyland Roadtrain/Constructor cab, which were also used by Scammell, what the chassis is I'm not sure, I guess leyland with some big tyres bolted on.

• Like 2

would say the chassis is ex millitary, they run scammels in full wheel drives , the front cab arches sort of give it away, normal road ones are more rounded, those are flat to allow for the over sized tyres they ran and the suspension movement when off road, used to see them a lot this way until those new flat fronted euro thing were bought to replace them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Ah yes, its an S26 DROPS, rare to see in 6x6 rather than an 8 wheeler. 

http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2085

lets just say they had more than 5  :D:D they used to be lined up in seaton baracks ,the royal logistical corps place here in plymouth, and prob others places,along with the mentioned fodens, which were much more recovery trucks and fuel tankers ,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i got that far once on paper , then built this instead 

12D367E4-C516-4D60-9C4A-C91EBE409BC4.jpeg

That's always been one of my favourite builds Sean if I'm honest, if I can get the Matbro a fraction as good as that I'll be happy:)

• Like 1

cheers john , if i ever get round to making a flat 8 grab for it it may appear more on the layout to be honest, oh and a beet bucket to, was built along with some other bits with the plans of a beet harvest, almer salmons half done, beet drills part done, sort of got a idea for a fromt mounted beet hoe, but not started, only really got this for loading and a richard western dump trailer built so far :unsure: so many ideas and just no time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 844john said:

It's all Alastair's fault.......early stages of a Matbro Teleram!;)

WP_20180712_17_57_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20180712_17_57_27_Pro.jpg

Great start john, if it's owt like your other builds it certainly won't be lacking in quality, looking forward to your progress. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1