The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

Little update......

Managed to source some fittings through one of our hydraulic suppliers at work to make up my own tipping pipe rather than buy one, and also tracked down a replacement for the missing offside front bonnet handle, but due to recent issues with my Landy engine, spare cash a bit limited but hope to get back to finishing her off in the New Year, I noticed a little weep of oil down the drop arm off the steering box, nowt too serious but summat else on the fettle it list.... still the oil seal only about £4 so it won't break the bank:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

another little update......

Spoilt her to a new Battery yesterday, bit of an early Christmas present  :laugh:  nipped down to yard over weekend to measure up for the tipping pipe, and with the weather being favourable I decided I'd take her out for a run to stretch her legs...... though the plan got thwarted by a flat battery so whipped it off at took it home to charge but a couple of the cells were dead and wouldn't bubble under charging..... so replaced it with a new one ;).... so still not got the tipping pipe sorted but brought my pullers home from work for doing the drop arm seal..... we'll get there eventually

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

another little update......

Spoilt her to a new Battery yesterday, bit of an early Christmas present  :laugh:  nipped down to yard over weekend to measure up for the tipping pipe, and with the weather being favourable I decided I'd take her out for a run to stretch her legs...... though the plan got thwarted by a flat battery so whipped it off at took it home to charge but a couple of the cells were dead and wouldn't bubble under charging..... so replaced it with a new one ;).... so still not got the tipping pipe sorted but brought my pullers home from work for doing the drop arm seal..... we'll get there eventually

Remember Rome was not built in a day! yes you will get there eventually thanks for update

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Aye very true Smithy, no worries there be plenty more updates on the way as work progresses ;)

Look forward to updates I plan on getting my own E27N home in the new year as the shed I have built is finished just need to build a work bench in it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Smithy :) what Majors do you have apart from your E27N then? is she a diesel or a petrol/tvo?

My E27N is petrol/tvo wheels have been cleaned up and sprayed with new tires fitted all round next job is to paint the rest blue and fix a small leak on tvo tank taken it for a run in the past but the last year it has stood over Martyns next to his fathers e27n ,it has electric start/lights and smiths hydraulics fitted ,first registration on 14-11-1951. I also have a fordson diesel major age unknown and a power-major also age unknown but have both been on the farm for as long as I can remember ,both are at the back of a shed and was runners when put there several years ago but both need restoring which I will do one day   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, smithy said:

My E27N is petrol/tvo wheels have been cleaned up and sprayed with new tires fitted all round next job is to paint the rest blue and fix a small leak on tvo tank taken it for a run in the past but the last year it has stood over Martyns next to his fathers e27n ,it has electric start/lights and smiths hydraulics fitted ,first registration on 14-11-1951. I also have a fordson diesel major age unknown and a power-major also age unknown but have both been on the farm for as long as I can remember ,both are at the back of a shed and was runners when put there several years ago but both need restoring which I will do one day   

Nice little collection there Smithy 8) look forward to seeing some pics as your projects unfold ;)

• Like 1

On 24/12/2015 at 10:49 PM, smithy said:

A late High Major, presuming that it was registered when new.

With regards the E1A's  their age can be ascertained from serial numbers, if available.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, super6 said:

A late High Major, presuming that it was registered when new.

With regards the E1A's  their age can be ascertained from serial numbers, if available.

I will check serial no one day as I have 3 old brown log books that I found when sorting some of my late fathers stuff out they could belong to them .

As for the high major I am sure it was registered when new

thanks for reply smithy  

Well managed to spend a few hours down at the yard once the rains had stopped, Battery fitted, drop arm seal done and steering box oil level topped up, measurements taken for the tipping pipe for when I get back to work next week and also after a bit of research found that she's fitted with the wrong levelling box and lift rod on the linkage, the Super and NP Super were fitted with different ones to the Major and Power Major..... still it's not a concours job so I not too bothered about it, but got her out and took her for a run to stretch her legs and get her warmed up, so thought I grab a pic of her whilst she was out of the shed :)

Photo0206_zpsu6bba2dl.jpg

Photo0205_001_001_zpsx6hkusml.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 7

Cheers Bill, Aye always keep finding something, be it a little addition or a small repair but enjoying the full sized as much as the models, She'll never be a perfect example but I don't think I'd be as happy with her if she was....;) It good to get out on her too, life seems a better more relaxed pace when just tramping along with the wind through your hair and the waft of diesel exhaust up your nostrils 8)

Thanks John :), the bloke that restored her a good while back did a good job before he put her back to work on a bit of pto and trailer work, was his baling tractor this season too and it was only lack of space for his other tractors that made him sell..... Before the major rebuild of my landy engine after a bit of a minor incident with the timing gear idler bearing in November I had come across a 48" Kidd rotoflail that was unrestored but tidy enough to go with her, but had to pass on it with landy taking priority..... would have made a nice outfit though ;)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

little update....

Couple more parts arrived this week courtesy of Agriline, great service and would recommend them to anyone that's needing parts for a tractor :), the wee haul consisted of a "livedrive" badge for the grille, an External services valve knob and rubber gaiter, and a set of filters for the fuel, oil, and hydraulics so she can have a service soon. Got the tipping pipe I was making bent up and swaged but will have to give it a coat of paint or two as couldn't find any stainless steel hydraulic pipe the right diameter in our stores at work..... so it's bent out of a piece of Scania truck rear axle steering pipe 8) Next on the shopping list is a gallon or two or three of oil and a headlight bulb that's out then can have an hour or two on her with the spanners.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well time for a little update,

Levelling box and lift rod been fettled up and had a lick of empire blue, just waiting for a pair of knuckles to arrive and then they can be re-pinned back on the tractor, one of the threads needed a bit of attention but now seems fine, Whilst the paint was out the genuine recycled Scania steel pipe got a lick or two of paint after I'd bent it up and had a trial fit, for the tipping pipe, so hopefully over the weekend these bits will get refitted, and all being well, do the oil and filters change. Oil didn't seem too badly priced through our supplier at work at £12 a gallon.

IMG_2100_zpsgseo0g65.jpg

IMG_2102_zpsorm7ml3c.jpg

IMG_2103_zpsvvymn2k3.jpg

• Like 2

Tipping pipe fitted yesterday, just gearbox and backend oils to change when it arrives in at work, Weather put a stop to taking her out for a run yesterday after the engine service, but warmed her up a bit in the shed and got oil and filter swapped, oil bath and mesh in air filter  washed out and re-filled along with the gauze in the crankcase breather, a quick whistle round her with the grease gun, dropped a drip of oil into the dynamo rear bearing and then fit the new flow control spindle, Auxillary service knob and gaiter to finish off the missing bits on the hydraulics, will add a reducer and elbow into backend fill point with another anti-spill coupling for a tank return, to then be able to borrow flow gauge from work to check the flow and pressure of the hydraulics to see if she's still on par.....about 22 litres per minute and  2400 psi  at 1700 engine rpm...... Whilst ferriting about i noticed the flexi-pipe on the rocker cover to air filter breather pipe has a split in it but plenty of that 1/2" I/d flexi knocking about to make it another cheap fix ;) All being well linkage knuckles will come this next week and will get a couple of pics of her out of the shed.    

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well the sun's been shining and what better way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday than to have a tour around the Valley giving the Major a stretch of her legs 8) sorry about the photo quality as taken on my phone. Running well though :) 

Photo0284_001.jpgPhoto0285_001.jpgPhoto0287.jpg 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, walterderwent said:

Lovely tractor Paul. Great to see it getting a run out in the Sun. :)

Cheers David :) It should really get out more than it does but it makes a change to give her a run out and have the wind in your hair and diesel fumes up your nostils

7 hours ago, jmd said:

looking good paul soon be first show for you to take it to:)

Your right there John, less than 3 weeks to go and looking forward to it too, hoping passes will be here this next week. still a few bits I should have had done by now as bits sat here waiting but not to worry ;) 

7 hours ago, chris.watson said:

Looks very nice Paul, especially on those chunky rear tyres. Excellent work.

Thanks Chris, appreciated bud, she came on the big boots, just made her look a bit more beefier than a standard major :)

6 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Sweet Major Paul.. Vintage show season has arived . Any plans to take it to a few this summer??

Aye Justin, Cheers, there plans for it to go to a couple of local shows this summer, first one in 3 weeks, then will have to wait an see, hoping to get the odd road run in too, but a lot will depend on work as it's hectic as hell and looks like it going to be like that for the next couple of months.... but you have to earn it before you can spend it ;)

• Like 1