Whats on your workbench???

9 hours ago, alf aphid said:

That looks brilliant John, yes please share technique, very impressive!

Cheers Alistair, 

It's pretty straightforward, just keep scoring the plastic with a sharp tool, until you have the required depth (l score a couple of of times, then wipe over with a cloth - applying plenty of downward pressure, to clean the groove, and repeat the process until happy with the depth of the groove). 

The painting is a little hit and miss, but seems to improve with practice ;) however it's certainly not an exact science!, sometimes less is more :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

I used proper strip wood on my petitti trailer , smaller trailer mind , and it was worth it , but also a pain to do , but theres a few really good videos on youtube on how to make plastic sheet look like wood planks and wood textures along with the best paints to use for proper wood effect finish . 

I was hoping to use wood strip, but once I calculated the width of the boards on the 12 ton pettit, it worked out each strip on the model would be approx 3mm wide, (together with the fact that the trailer has quite a tapered body/floor from front to back) to do this with actual wood strips was beyond my capabilities.... :unsure:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SPN said:

Challenge Time.

Pick two half finished models from your workbench, and commit to getting them finished by October 1st.

I'll pick my two next week after I finish this job.

Challenge on! :D

I am going for five - a Britains DB1412 make over, and  three scratch built tippers (a 10 ton weeks, and two 12 ton Pettit trailers), plus a scratch built 6.6 metre bomford powertrak cultivator. 

Must admit its good to see that other people have the same issues, i.e lots of part built models, thought it was just me!! :wacko:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JEP said:

I was hoping to use wood strip, but once I calculated the width of the boards on the 12 ton pettit, it worked out each strip on the model would be approx 3mm wide, (together with the fact that the trailer has quite a tapered body/floor from front to back) to do this with actual wood strips was beyond my capabilities.... :unsure:

i fancied the challange :D also added working drop sides etc, would i do it again, maybe but only on a single axel 6tonner or similar, prob as a ransomes ,it certainly pushed me  plus i had the time back then to do it . have a look at the youtube vids for wood finished paint wise, they all seem to use mig paint?? seems very simple when you see it , certainly gave me a few ideas should i do some more trailers 

• Like 2

The partly built ones keep on piling :D 

I will need to mull it over I think, either go easy or go with ones that actually demand some work. My DB 1412 is the one I'm currently working on, so definetly that.

As another challenge for myself, I won't buy another model for as long as I have uncompleted builds :) Only exception, direly needed parts!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SPN said:

Challenge Time.

Pick two half finished models from your workbench, and commit to getting them finished by October 1st.

would love to stan, but seeing as i am away most of september i would be at a slight disadvantage 

• Like 1

same here Stan, i would love to get another one or two finished, but its looking like we'll soon be starting to lead straw, there's miles (or so it seems!)of walling to crack on with, its getting round to a busy time of year with the sheep, and the wife and kids keep mentioning that dirty word "holiday"! I fear time for models may be at a premium.......but never say never!;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JEP said:

Cheers Alistair, 

It's pretty straightforward, just keep scoring the plastic with a sharp tool, until you have the required depth (l score a couple of of times, then wipe over with a cloth - applying plenty of downward pressure, to clean the groove, and repeat the process until happy with the depth of the groove). 

The painting is a little hit and miss, but seems to improve with practice ;) however it's certainly not an exact science!, sometimes less is more :D

Thanks John, I’ve got a Nelson bale trailer on the drawing board so that’s really handy to know if strip wood proves unsuitable 

7 hours ago, catkom3 said:

Cheers for that Sean,this looks like a very good video,'specially as the guy is working in 1/35th scale,plus he has another two video's,that come up,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbGvKSwK4g

Regards

Joe.

this is the one i found joe,  very  detailed finish ,easily workable to a 1/32 scale i recon, she has olenty of others on there to 

• Like 1

The challenge is just a way of helping people get motivated, make the time, and focus on getting two done and finished.

If it works we can do it again for November.

There's a lot of stuff on people's workbenches there that I'd love to see finished.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JEP said:

Challenge on! :D

I am going for five - a Britains DB1412 make over, and  three scratch built tippers (a 10 ton weeks, and two 12 ton Pettit trailers), plus a scratch built 6.6 metre bomford powertrak cultivator. 

Must admit its good to see that other people have the same issues, i.e lots of part built models, thought it was just me!! :wacko:

No not just you John I now someone else a bit like that :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, SPN said:

Challenge Time.

Awesome idea, nothing like competition for motivation.  

I will aim to complete my Standen T3 Harvester and a John Deere 8R conversion I have been working on

SPN, are you going to create a specific topic for this challenge so we can add updates on our progress.  

20180721_123813.jpg

20180721_123522.jpg

• Like 5

Some progress on my DB, just assembled to get an indicator of how things are going, just small changes for now :) Modified a UH front axle and testing it now, replaced all those painted lights and replaced them with proper ones, added a rotator on the roof, started making drw's and my first linkage! And of course drilled a hole down the exhaust pipe :D

DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

DSC_0678.JPG

Edited by Janval
  • Like 5

I am liking this challenge, I made more progress yesterday on my John Deere 8r than I have in the last couple of years.  

Lot more work to do on it though.  

Base tractor is a Siku JD 8r, I have then used a Norscot Challenger rear hub and linkage.  The wheels and front axel are from a Marge Steyr and then the front linkage is from Artisan32.  

20180722_072700.jpg

20180722_072608.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, alf aphid said:

That’s a lot of work! Looking very good though

I have a feeling I won't progress as quickly with the Standen harvester.  Also I am travelling around China and the US Midwest for the next month for work.  So the race will be back on when I return, haha. 

On 7/20/2018 at 10:41 AM, SPN said:

Challenge Time.

I'll happily join this, got more boxes of started builds than I have finished models on my shelf.

First should be easy, the Unimog U411 Snowblower I've been on with for years, just cab detail and paint left for this one.

IMG_20180725_191149.thumb.jpg.534cb90f5fdddc808fbf0d3a6d56092b.jpg

Second is more of a long shot, Houghton Parkhouse four deck livestock trailer, been attempting one for years and this latest attempt currently looks like this, a bunch of styrene masters, some pink stuff and a couple of bits of resin.

IMG_20180725_191307.thumb.jpg.dfd72610fc70b945ff2ad19b1b4014ca.jpg

• Like 7

Had this brilliant idea of replacing the wheels on my Marge TW25 today, initially I was going to put them on my Fiat Winner (but they were to big for that). After a nerve wrecking amount of time trying to remove the wheels from the TW, breaking off the steps on the left side in the process, in stead of gently pulling the wheels of at the final stage, it turned out to be the axle breaking :lol: Oh well, what's done is done. Couldnt turn back then! I was then stumped to find out that the wheels were to big even for the TW :wacko: Might have to do more to the model now, as I decided to sand off all six tyres. Left side steps somewhat fixed, but totally out of position due to the increased wheel size (oh, and let's not forget the fact that the wheels won't turn anymore :rolleyes:)

I guess I learned my lesson, sadly not for the first time, to not jump into spontanious ideas like this B)

227941638_2018-07-2820_16_53.thumb.jpg.817ab28f441334b67f039c06627dd8f6.jpg1866362363_2018-07-2820_16_35.thumb.jpg.57ff70a37e2fcb90f36c3a6bbebfaff0.jpg692358350_2018-07-2820_17_10.thumb.jpg.1146c1b98d42de06dc2d0a0e488e8295.jpg1911043196_2018-07-2820_17_34.thumb.jpg.3523fd5b1bbe1c23cf1be16d2fceef18.jpg41890190_2018-07-2820_18_29.thumb.jpg.9e75894ddcc91b4f688d517ce8953355.jpg

• Like 6