Valley Axeman's 1/16th collection

Valley Axe Man

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, smithy said:

Another fine tractor Paul , you will soon need a bigger room/shed to store them all :)

Cheers Smithy ;) well as you know a few of the 32nd models found a new home amongst other collections so the space created can accomodate a couple more 16ths yet before i have to worry too much ;)

18 hours ago, Dusty Dan said:

I like that tractor! Color too! 

Thanks Corky :) the Vee twin front tricycle will be alot more familiar on tractors around you  than over here, the full sized examples aren't very common, most got converted back to wide front axle

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 12:00 PM, mb86 said:

Grand additions to the collection Paul, I've said before bit there is a cracking level of detail in 16ths. 

Cheers Martin;), wonder if i'll be able to get you to convert to the dark-side and move over to 16th :D

3 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Martin;), wonder if i'll be able to get you to convert to the dark-side and move over to 16th :D

I haven't the room but more importantly I don't think I could afford it, collecting half size stuff is dear enough! Mind saying that, maybe if UH did some 10 series or TW's I might be tempted by one or two. 

• Like 2

With show season almost upon us, thought it best to see what would fit on the trailer ;) i'd say the 141 is a touch on the small side but never one to leave a bargain i thought it'd be worth a punt on, maybe the Taskers needs to go back to Andy for another axle :D

IMG_5680.thumb.JPG.6b67b1386eea006a9f4b7e5599d6a2fd.JPGIMG_5681.thumb.JPG.042ba84e0cfc53e6373c6763b98f0957.JPG

• Like 9

23 hours ago, 844john said:

I like the Scania Paul! What make is it?

Cheers John, Its in a grey box with Road Kings on it, by a company called Speidiel Auto Model i'm guessing from Germany, they also do an early Merc and also a Volvo F series in normal cab and Globetrotter, along with the 141, some are 4x2's others are 6x4's... might have been an early MAN too now i think on about it, Was a few on a stall down at the Llandudno show last weekend, never seen them before but thought i'd have a punt on one, size wise it claims 18th, but scaling back using a rule of thumb of roughly 8ft over the width she sits more closer to 16th scale than 18th so doesn't look too out of place :)  Here's a link to see some of the others... https://dmbmodels.co.uk/heavy-haulage-24-c.asp  or https://www.teknomodeltrucks.co.uk/road-kings- 

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, smithy said:

That's a good load on there Paul ,yes I think you need another axle on that trailer :)

Thanks Smithy, i suppose back in the day some of the tractors would have been transported across the trailer rather than lengthways...  another bit added on to its length might just help it's overall proportions with another axle under it. think a conversation with Andy needs to be had ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mb86 said:

That looks smart Paul, bet it takes up a bit of room!

Cheers Martin, aye it's a tidy thing with a bit of weight to it, similar construction to a UH, diecast chunks with a few plastic parts,  the outfit is roughly about 34" nose to tail, so would take up a bit of shelf space if left out ;)

4 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Martin, aye it's a tidy thing with a bit of weight to it, similar construction to a UH, diecast chunks with a few plastic parts,  the outfit is roughly about 34" nose to tail, so would take up a bit of shelf space if left out ;)

Fair old size, wouldn't get too many in my cabinet then! Might we se this rig in person at Penrith?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mb86 said:

Fair old size, wouldn't get too many in my cabinet then! Might we se this rig in person at Penrith?

3 hours ago, 844john said:

Pleeeeeease say yes Paul!;)

Aye she'll be at Penrith ;) don't know what'll be on the trailer but she'll be there :)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A little update but this ones only here temparary until my next trip up north, Collected for Martin a 10/60 4wd winch tractor off Brian at RJN, i don't actually have this version so it's one i'll have to add to my own order list when i next catch up with Brian ;)

IMG_6447.thumb.JPG.6938300552f49ff026d739f0d6adf419.JPGIMG_6448.thumb.JPG.25dd7525dc7fb622cddd4ab7deacfc80.JPGIMG_6449.thumb.JPG.6e19b295d8f7f8b6d6fb2afc83fc3720.JPGIMG_6450.thumb.JPG.1c4b0adf7d38b8a1db40ae23c5736983.JPG

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

the gpo would have indeed used them for cabling works, in those days we had very little duct in the ground, so all the mu/cj cables as we know them(the main  link cables between exchanges and towns and cites  ) would have all been overhead, they were made as normal ,then you had to add a steel strength cable along the top and wire bound it to the cable its self, so it could be anchored to the poles .in those days we used lead as the main cable cover, linked with big .9mm copper wire, so you could imagine the weight . most sections rarely got over 200m especially with the big main stuff ,which could be 160 odd pairs  with a 0.9mm conductor getting on 4” in diameter . from memory these were around 100kg per 10 m .even our biggest cable guys couldn't lift it :D,we still had a few working when i started, but most were being ripped out/down as fibre  had replaced them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

the gpo would have indeed used them for cabling works, in those days we had very little duct in the ground, so all the mu/cj cables as we know them(the main  link cables between exchanges and towns and cites  ) would have all been overhead, they were made as normal ,then you had to add a steel strength cable along the top and wire bound it to the cable its self, so it could be anchored to the poles .in those days we used lead as the main cable cover, linked with big .9mm copper wire, so you could imagine the weight . most sections rarely got over 200m especially with the big main stuff ,which could be 160 odd pairs  with a 0.9mm conductor getting on 4” in diameter . from memory these were around 100kg per 10 m .even our biggest cable guys couldn't lift it :D,we still had a few working when i started, but most were being ripped out/down as fibre  had replaced them.

Cheers Sean, Thought you'd shed abit of light on the G.P.O. side of the story,  do you ever remember much cable getting mole'd in in rural locations rather than going over the top on poles?

• Like 1

yes we did mole plough ,hence the roadless and countys we bought,but nothing that big ,more a 100 pair copper local  cable  across the moors or somewhere. i can remember a county doing it on dartmoor not long after i started . interestingly  we have started doing it again recently , for rural broadband, sadly not ourselves, they use a contractor, not sure what he runs though as its more in somerset at present where we are doing the infill stuff, the hard to get to one or two houses bits, lays a duct with pre installed cable in one go. if the rumors are true,the people doing the devon and cornwall infills, are not going to hit the contract dates, and we have been asked to continue it,so i may get to see what hes using soon .apparently only one person bid for the work,seems its a rare skill now ?? 

• Like 1