Valley Axeman's 1/16th collection

Valley Axe Man

7 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Here you go Paul, it's a simple shaft in tube type but would allow a bit of articulation

IMG_3384.thumb.JPG.a64c555d1b4c8f86295536916cd1df23.JPGIMG_3385.thumb.JPG.05a03a64aa58d328f58db673934dec17.JPG

That's a nice trailer Paul ,as for the hitch I have seen some like that but they just have a ring on the end like a normal pickup hitch style I have one on a end tow kit for a maschio power-harrow  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Smithy, i think you'd have seen this trailer at Spalding when Andy was opposite you ;)

Glad it's brought back a bit of a memory for you Sean :) 

I properly did see it but he had so much fantastic models on there you could stand at his stall all day looking and still miss something  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

A little Christmas gift to me..... from me ;) Probably the last purchase for 2017, another Nuffield off Brian at RJN to add to the slowly growing collection of "Poppy Oranges" This time she's another 4/65 but fitted with a Selene 4wd axle, not from any reading up than any were done like this from the factory, the more favoured route for full sized collectors of the marque was to use a carrero axled skid from under a 462, 472, 482, 604, 704 or 804 and re-panel as the 4/65, there has been a couple of these knocking about  Leyland fan Graham Hill did one many moons ago and at the 2016 Cheffins Harrogate sale there was a very well presented example of one that sold for strong money.  Locally about 3 miles from home theres a Leyland 384 done the same way, and a 384  that i know of in the Scottish Borders that used an 804 as its base and has alot of sentimental value to it's owner. Brian's version isn't a true replica but a welcomed addition to the collection :)...... i wonder what roll she'll take in next years contracting fleet???

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.a07bd0e6f330a5a24d7465be3484d2d2.JPGIMG_3410.thumb.JPG.37b6932fb34fe929be7d2f306e17daa4.JPGIMG_3412.thumb.JPG.08a8fb1c4ae6b54543e5f3fbf8421b0d.JPGIMG_3414.thumb.JPG.134902e2d64646c22463b733ac71a745.JPGIMG_3417.thumb.JPG.deec3867c96070a9a3e47d247a12130c.JPG

One down and another 3 4wds to hopefully add to the collection in 2018 :)  

nice addition paul 

• Like 1

Cheers Brian, John and Justin muchly apprieciated :) 

It's a nice tractor, and i  agree with you there John, full sized 4/65s are nice looking machines even though they were prone to over heating, some hated the step away from the lines of the 10/60 but without the step forward i doubt the 384 Leyland would have looked how it did. but realistically any brand of tractor has it's bad points.... no matter what stable it's from. 

There was and still is alot of farming areas that are brand loyal should we say Justin, and even down to pricing or dealer back up wouldn't step out of their comfort zone of what they know or were brought up with. My dad was a Ford and County man at heart, but yet the Nuffield, Leyland and Marshall line is my real interest hence the slight expansion of the collection now a few more are available........ the world would be a hell of a boring place if we all followed the same road :)

• Like 7

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

rA little Christmas gift to me..... from me ;) Probably the last purchase for 2017, another Nuffield off Brian at RJN to add to the slowly growing collection of "Poppy Oranges" This time she's another 4/65 but fitted with a Selene 4wd axle, not from any reading up than any were done like this from the factory, the more favoured route for full sized collectors of the marque was to use a carrero axled skid from under a 462, 472, 482, 604, 704 or 804 and re-panel as the 4/65, there has been a couple of these knocking about  Leyland fan Graham Hill did one many moons ago and at the 2016 Cheffins Harrogate sale there was a very well presented example of one that sold for strong money.  Locally about 3 miles from home theres a Leyland 384 done the same way, and a 384  that i know of in the Scottish Borders that used an 804 as its base and has alot of sentimental value to it's owner. Brian's version isn't a true replica but a welcomed addition to the collection :)...... i wonder what roll she'll take in next years contracting fleet???

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.a07bd0e6f330a5a24d7465be3484d2d2.JPGIMG_3410.thumb.JPG.37b6932fb34fe929be7d2f306e17daa4.JPGIMG_3412.thumb.JPG.08a8fb1c4ae6b54543e5f3fbf8421b0d.JPGIMG_3414.thumb.JPG.134902e2d64646c22463b733ac71a745.JPGIMG_3417.thumb.JPG.deec3867c96070a9a3e47d247a12130c.JPG

One down and another 3 4wds to hopefully add to the collection in 2018 :)  

Fantastic addition Paul you don't half spoil yourself , mars bars in the background as well lovely

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Brian, John and Justin muchly apprieciated :) 

It's a nice tractor, and i  agree with you there John, full sized 4/65s are nice looking machines even though they were prone to over heating, some hated the step away from the lines of the 10/60 but without the step forward i doubt the 384 Leyland would have looked how it did. but realistically any brand of tractor has it's bad points.... no matter what stable it's from. 

There was and still is alot of farming areas that are brand loyal should we say Justin, and even down to pricing or dealer back up wouldn't step out of their comfort zone of what they know or were brought up with. My dad was a Ford and County man at heart, but yet the Nuffield, Leyland and Marshall line is my real interest hence the slight expansion of the collection now a few more are available........ the world would be a hell of a boring place if we all followed the same road :)

Spot in Paul . Variety is the spice of life ...as you say ...it would be a hell of a boring place if we all followed the same road .....my boss has a Nuf 4/60 for vintage road runs .. He refurbed it about 5 years ago . Has been there since new actually . It just stood in a barn for a number of years before he decided to get her up and running again . He also has a Small Nuf BMC Mini 154 along with a DB 995 & a more modern Kubota 4wd around the 60 ish HP mark. All for his little hobby farm ..they are very hard worked !!:D  splitting timber , power washing , yard brushwork,topping , shaking fertilizer  & pulling the odd 4 ton trailer . :D  

Edited by justy 46
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, smithy said:

Fantastic addition Paul you don't half spoil yourself , mars bars in the background as well lovely

Cheers Smithy :).... Aye well sometimes it's worth spoiling yourself from time to time..... even if it's only to the odd biscuit or Mars bar ;)  being honest i've nowt against those who like to suck on a woodbine or two, was one of my hero's trademarks, good old Fred Dibnah, i just prefer to put my spare into a few additions to the collection rather than 20 a day ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Spot in Paul . Variety is the spice of life ...as you say ...it would be a hell of a boring place if we all followed the same road .....my boss has a Nuf 4/60 for vintage road runs .. He refurbed it about 5 years ago . Has been there since new actually . It just stood in a barn for a number of years before he decided to get her up and running again . He also has a Small Nuf BMC Mini 154 along with a DB 995 & a more modern Kubota 4wd around the 60 ish HP mark. All for his little hobby farm ..they are very hard worked !!:D  splitting timber , power washing , yard brushwork,topping , shaking fertilizer  & pulling the odd 4 ton trailer . :D  

Your boss seems to have it right there Justin, a few hobby tractors that get a little bit of work just to keep them active and not sat in a shed to collect cobwebs :) i know i promised the major more road and a few jobs this year but it's been one of those years and at times the weathers been fantastic but i just couldn't be arsed.... my get up and go had got up and gone.....though things are sorting themselves out slowly so hopefully a New Year might bring a bit more light at the end of the tunnel ;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Smithy :).... Aye well sometimes it's worth spoiling yourself from time to time..... even if it's only to the odd biscuit or Mars bar ;)  being honest i've nowt against those who like to suck on a woodbine or two, was one of my hero's trademarks, good old Fred Dibnah, i just prefer to put my spare into a few additions to the collection rather than 20 a day ;)

Fred Dibnah was someone I always liked to watch on TV remember him say his steam engine was better than a wife as you could hit it with a hammer and it wont hit back ,not that I would recommend hitting our wifes with a hammer .A little tip Paul with the Mars Bars only eat 2/3 of the bar that's the rest and play bit the other 1/3 the work bit throw that away ;)  

• Like 4

theres a non cabbed “bray” nuffield running arround in north devon, you need one of those next paul, the guy runs arround with a low loader and a 5 ton digger on it, also noticed david(click clack kodak) had posted this the other day, similar front axel to your new one

257D36B5-DF42-4663-A6D4-FBE4B2460274.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

theres a non cabbed “bray” nuffield running arround in north devon, you need one of those next paul, the guy runs arround with a low loader and a 5 ton digger on it, also noticed david(click clack kodak) had posted this the other day, similar front axel to your new one

Cheers Sean... have talked to Brian about Brays but he's other projects that he'd like to get on the go before he starts another, Although that photo looks like it was taken at Tractor Fest at Newby Hall....

23 hours ago, smithy said:

Fred Dibnah was someone I always liked to watch on TV remember him say his steam engine was better than a wife as you could hit it with a hammer and it wont hit back ,not that I would recommend hitting our wifes with a hammer .A little tip Paul with the Mars Bars only eat 2/3 of the bar that's the rest and play bit the other 1/3 the work bit throw that away ;)  

Great tip Smithy ;) i'll try and remember that :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

After a little studying Sean, this tractor that David has snapped is an Italian conversion of the 4/65,  and called a 4/76 after i spotted the differing decal on the bonnet side, i don't know if the engine is a differing unit to the standard 4/65 but the Italians had been converting Nuffields to 4wd for a number of years,  Nuffield importer Cantatore which i think was based somewhere near to Turin converted quite an amount of 4/60 and 10/60's  before the new model arrived,  some three cylinder 3/42's got converted too :) which i sort of get the feeling were the Italian version of what Roadless were doing to the Fordson Majors of the same era. I can't find much information on them but did find a nice album on Flikr of 4wd's  which has a photo of what looks like an example of the above conversion. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35444272@N08/?ytcheck=1&new_session=1

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, mr softie said:

a nice addition Paul and I sense your 218 year is going to be more expensive than mine 

Cheers Brian, Aye 2018 maybe a tad expensive but i don't quite know if it'll be as quite as expensive as yours..... unless your having a year off from adding to your collection or is that a silly question?? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1