Leyland / Marshall

Excellent work! Love the one with the loader and rear bucket! 

Quick question, do you cast and paint the wheels in one piece or are they split somehow? Also, are the skids cast as one or two pieces? 

I'm just trying to plan how I'll go about my first casting so I don't spend too much material on testing :) 

21 hours ago, Janval said:

Excellent work! Love the one with the loader and rear bucket! 

Quick question, do you cast and paint the wheels in one piece or are they split somehow? Also, are the skids cast as one or two pieces? 

I'm just trying to plan how I'll go about my first casting so I don't spend too much material on testing :) 

Thanks Jan! There's not really a simple answer to your questions I'm afraid as i have some of each! Most of the wheels i use are cast as a single piece, it is easier to paint when done as separate rim and tyre, but my initial attempts at casts were all one piece and i still use them. As for the skids, again most are two piece, but some, such as the internationals, are done in a modular form, ie separate engines and transmissions so that i can match them for a particular build.

• Thanks 1

Thats going to look another stunning build there John, very impressive :) is she destined to be a silver stripe or blue stripe decal 10 speed? real life the 245 was a fantastic loader tractor but if used heavily then it was recommeded by various dealers afterwards that the loader brackets were taken through to the axle trumpets to stiffen the whole job up, they had a tendancy to crack round the bellhousings as that took all the load unlike a full chassis like on the 4 cylinders......  Theres a similar spec 272 syncro not far from you for sale

Edited by Valley Axe Man

2 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Thats going to look another stunning build there John, very impressive :) is she destined to be a silver stripe or blue stripe decal 10 speed? real life the 245 was a fantastic loader tractor but if used heavily then it was recommeded by various dealers afterwards that the loader brackets were taken through to the axle trumpets to stiffen the whole job up, they had a tendancy to crack round the bellhousings as that took all the load unlike a full chassis like on the 4 cylinders......  Theres a similar spec 272 syncro not far from you for sale

Blue stripe 10 speed Paul ;) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FendtFarmer said:

Blue stripe 10 speed Paul ;) 

Nice Ben :) will be a beauty when she's finished :) there's a few pureists that say a 245 and it's predecessor The 253 weren't proper Leylands because they used a Perkins engine rather than a BMC/Leyland engine but looking back in the history, the early Universal Nuffields had the option of the P3 and L4 engines, I'll openly admit that I'm no Ferguson fan but in this case the 245 will outperform the Mf135 due to it being a heavier better gripping tractor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

mm now i am stuck, i fancied a blue 272 and loader, but that little 802 with a loader would look nice as well, ooo when can i order :D

Thanks Sean! Funnily enough, i was thinking about building either a Grays or a Tanco loader to go on one of these

1 hour ago, 844john said:

Thanks Sean! Funnily enough, i was thinking about building either a Grays or a Tanco loader to go on one of these

I was thinking tanco as well weirdly, see one time to time down here if i head out a certain way for work, all be it in a old council yellow colour , inc the loader , but in good condition. 

4 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

I was thinking tanco as well weirdly, see one time to time down here if i head out a certain way for work, all be it in a old council yellow colour , inc the loader , but in good condition. 

Great minds think alike Sean!:D

Found some old photos of the last Marshall we had, these would have been taken not long before it was sold around fifteen years or so ago......another one that should have been parked up in the back of the shed and kept....

WP_20210206_15_25_08_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20210206_15_25_20_Pro (2).jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, 844john said:

Found some old photos of the last Marshall we had, these would have been taken not long before it was sold around fifteen years or so ago......another one that should have been parked up in the back of the shed and kept....

WP_20210206_15_25_08_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20210206_15_25_20_Pro (2).jpg

That would have been well worth sticking hold of John, by the looks of it you've always taken pride in keeping your machinery clean and tidy, being a 602 would have held its money abit better too as most went for the higher horse but no larger 702 for the small increase in purchase price, but they missed out on a livelier engine, a 602 with a slight change at the pump got you to a 702 but more responsive for a couple of hundred quid cheaper, nice to see your Marshall though:)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 844john said:

You're right Paul, wish we knew then what we know now! About ten years ago i had chance of a mint Case IH 956 with just 5000hrs on the clock for £7500 and I turned it down as I thought we had plenty of tractors at the time...:(

i know that feeling, when we sold hp, i was offered the 165 i first drove, mint and 100% origonal flexi cab, price 1000 ,or the 1250, as they were deemed a toy, i could have had that for 1500 quid, after thought i had to say no,as no where to keep them, 100 series command good prices now, prob what i had would be 7500 odd, worst is  the 1250,  norfolk  guy bought it ,from his grant ,as a toy/ always wanted one, cost him 1750 at the auction, it was in classic tractor a few years back, still as original as the day we sold it,rust free just sun fad on the paint , 500 hours more on its clock so sat at 2000 odd hours , he had at that time turned down several offers of 30k plus to part with it ,oh the joys of hind sight  eh