The Weather in General

Udimore

Yesterday it was overcast all day and today it's sunny spells but mostly cloudy with very light showers and the temperature is 10 degrees lower than of late at 17.5C. Will have to put a jumper on!

We've had a couple of very heavy and quite prolonged showers here this afternoon, first one was around 2.30 and the second about 6.30. We're up to 5.7mm of rain today now. Oh, and I've put a jumper on.

• 4 months later...

Very heavy rain and winds up to 100 mph tonight still at work until * like someone is going to come in to look at a car on a night like this >:( Ah well the fire is on at home so feet up with my dinner on my lap spot of TV and on here I think will be the plan tonight :laugh:

It's been very windy here today with gusts around the County reported to have ben up to 95mph with flooding, power lines and trees coming down. Rainfall, mostly between 2.30pm and 5.15pm as recorded on my digital gauge, was 38.1mm, that's nearly one inch and 1/2. It's now very calm and bright moonlight. Forgot to say that my barograph recorded the air pressure at 948.1hPa which is 28.05in of mercury, that's pretty low, if you've got an old barometer that has 'stormy' on the dial, the needle will be below the s. I've only known the pressure to drop this low once before in the last 3 years.

Edited by powerrabbit

• 1 month later...

It's 15.45 on Candlemas day here in Aberdeenshire and it has been dry and fair most of the day and the sun is still up.....but what does this mean :huh:

The old proverbs say...but are they true :unsure:

If Candlemas day be clear and bright

Winter will have another fight

If Candlemas day brings cloud and rain

Winter won't come again

Well... I do hope ancient proverbs are wrong since the sun is still shining here in Aberdeenshire...and I like it...the days are getting longer ;D  ;D

The old saying is the same down here Bill and although it has been bright today for most of the day up to now we've had a few very heavy showers so, going by the old saying, it could go either way. Another February saying is 'February fill the dyke, black or white'. The forcast for here yesterday was for very strong gale force wind and heavy rain, we got neither here but they had it in Wales, it must have tracked a little further up the Country.

Personally Tim ... I think it is good these saying's are kept alive and passed down. It was only yesterday at the Black Isle Ploughing match at Conon - Bridge did Ian William's from Maud in Aberdeenshire mention to me it was Candlemas Day the next day to which I retorted ( Be clear and fair) since I can only remember that few lines that my late father would have said like poetry in motion to me. I regret now I did not write down some of his saying's but at least I have the memory of the ones I remember 8)

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, smithy said:

Cold very windy with light snow flurries mixed in with the rain down here in my part of Suffolk ,I now other places have it worse than I do so cant complain  

Went into your county today smithy , two of us took a couple of tractors and artic cattle floats and picked up 38 heifers that we had on shotley point. We could almost touch Felixstowe docks the other side of the river. And yes, the wind off the estuary was bl..dy freezing. Glad we got the animals home into the shed before this weekends big freeze.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Went into your county today smithy , two of us took a couple of tractors and artic cattle floats and picked up 38 heifers that we had on shotley point. We could almost touch Felixstowe docks the other side of the river. And yes, the wind off the estuary was bl..dy freezing. Glad we got the animals home into the shed before this weekends big freeze.

The wife's friends live at the Holbrook Lodge which is at the entrance to the private girls school on the way to shotley and where they keep they horses they told me that somebody from Essex had some cattle down there which I put 2an2 together and thought it must be you  

35 minutes ago, smithy said:

The wife's friends live at the Holbrook Lodge which is at the entrance to the private girls school on the way to shotley and where they keep they horses they told me that somebody from Essex had some cattle down there which I put 2an2 together and thought it must be you  

That will be us smithy, the school is at woolverstone I think, just before chelmodiston. Nice bit of scenery through there along the river.

2 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

That will be us smithy, the school is at woolverstone I think, just before chelmodiston. Nice bit of scenery through there along the river.

That's the place Chris mate was down there Saturday night having a meal with them ,(the wifes friends not your cattle )

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, smithy said:

Its now 7-30pm and we have a good layer of snow road outside mine is covered hope we don't get too much more in next few hours as I now have to pop out to a friends house and make sure he is ok and change his gas bottle on his stand by heater

Make sure Martyn makes you a cup of tea !!!

3 hours ago, chris.watson said:

Make sure Martyn makes you a cup of tea !!!

not martyn but my 72 year old mate Eric that's got the fire-wood business since he had his stroke 2 years ago he not got much feeling in hands an fingers so cant do the fiddly jobs changing light bulbs gas bottle connections and stuff but can still hold chain-saw and use sawbench so most Thursday nights I go keep him company for a couple of hours and that way you can keep a eye on him as he lives alone and yes he makes me a drink coffee not tea  

• Like 1

Hard frost down here last night compacted by showers In between the clear spells, rain And hail which promptly froze onto the frost already there, road was like a skid pan first thing with black ice and took ages to clear the windscreens as it was hellish thick with all the levels it formed had some up on the moors to but it a huge amount 

• Like 1