The Weather in General

Udimore

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Send it over this way mark, we need it badly.

Still no better down there than when I saw you a couple of weeks back? The neighbours oats er I mean barley must be scorched off by now!

On 27 June 2017 at 5:12 PM, Gav836 said:

Still no better down there than when I saw you a couple of weeks back? The neighbours oats er I mean barley must be scorched off by now!

35 mil here yesterday gav. Saved the fodder beet crops and will help the wheat finish. Yes, neighbours, and our barley will be ready in about 10 to 14 days mate. Whole cropped our spring barley last weekend, contractor that swathed it brought his Claas maxi swather with 16 foot header, nice to see it out at work, not much use for it these days around here.

• 3 months later...

Orphelia is starting to bare down here now . Very very strong winds . Country is gone into lockdown . No schools , no work , no public transport ., power outages everywhere & tress falling . It should pass by the afternoon . But the damage is going to be lots . It's going to be the strongest storm in over 50 years according to the Met office !!

• Like 1

Same here Justin, hope all are safe and well after she passes through. It's the strangest weather at the moment, far too mild for the time of year and not good for inside stock. The sunrise this morning was like something off another planet, it's very calm and muggy here now, but the fog has an almost yellow/orange colour to it. Looks like the sort of day for getting a good finish tonight and holing up before she starts to blow!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 844john said:

Same here Justin, hope all are safe and well after she passes through. It's the strangest weather at the moment, far too mild for the time of year and not good for inside stock. The sunrise this morning was like something off another planet, it's very calm and muggy here now, but the fog has an almost yellow/orange colour to it. Looks like the sort of day for getting a good finish tonight and holing up before she starts to blow!

You must have been up out of the fog this morning john, it has been misty here since 6 so haven't seen the sun today yet, you are right about the colour of it though. I noticed the sun yesterday morning seemed huge and a real deep orange colour. Last day outside for the milkers today so hopefully it will cool down and freshen up a bit after the storm. Just had a look at the forecast and the wind is supposed to get up around 5 this aft and get up to 60-70mph tonight untill mid morning tomorrow. 

It was as clear as a bell here first thing and even down at Barney it was still clear until 11 when I left, did seem very patchy early on. Looking out the window now it's like something off Star Trek, the fog is almost yellow. Think I'd better get my jobs done!:D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, justy 46 said:

Hi guys . Back briefly . No electricity , internet .. basicly f all .. 4 days on . In the city at present . So have 3G in here . Talk soon. Serious damage done around home !

Saw a little bit about it on the news Justin, looked dreadful. good to see you are ok

• Like 1

Take care Justin mate, really feel for you, I remember it well here in Essex in 1987, blew the roofs of a few farrowing houses on the farm that had pigs in them farrowing the night of the storm, spent all winter repairing sheds and cutting up trees. Know exactly what you are going through. Proper frightening when the storms is in full swing isn't it.

• Like 1

Glad your ok Justin, material things can be repaired or replaced as frustrating as it is, living things can't. 

I too can just remember 1987, really frightening night for a 7 year old (me!) and adults alike. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys . Got the electricity back today .. But it could be short lived , Storm Brian is now coming . Any trees loosened by the last storm will probably come down in this one & take the power lines down again , but hopefully nobody looses a life which is the main concern . Flooding is also a big concern with this next storm . Cork  is taking a serious hammering with these storms .. But we are all ok .. 

• Like 2