The Weather in General

Udimore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nice and clear here, gone a bit cold tonight so may have to defrost the car and van first thing, but that snow stuff can stay well away, not that its ever stopped me getting where i need to be, it does bugger up everyone else arround who seem to go to pot driving wise even at a tiny bit of sleet 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We are heading in to a RED weather warning here now .. There is going to be a serious clash of personalities overhead between the Beast from the east & storm Emma which are about yo mix it up a little on the South coast (Cork,Waterford ,Wexford etc ) . So 40cm of snow with 120+'km/h gusts leading to blizzards & thunder snow!!!!  It will be the worst snow storm they are saying since 1982. .!!!  No work for the next 2 days & all stocked up !!:)

Edited by justy 46
spelling edit
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SPN said:

You can watch Emma approaching from the South on the Netweather radar.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

All due to kick off about 4pm.

Never see that radar SPN. But I will be watching it.  Cheers for the link.   I usually use the Met Eireann rainfall radar which is pretty good also. http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Like 2

A few pics I took this morning around my area of Dripsey in Co Cork.  Few around my own house ,parents house next door ,local pup the Weigh Inn & Dripsey bridge .. About 20 cm of snow in total .But we never got the blizzards that were forecast last night.  Plenty of fun for  my 2 kids today..:)

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is here too Paul, we keep getting some horrendous snow showers with very strong winds and it is bitterly cold, pick up said -3, with the wind chill it feels much colder. Everything is frozen solid, sheep all in for lambing but the water troughs are all frozen and the snow is blowing in through the Yorkshire boarding and covering the straw, thank God we haven't quite started lambing yet. There are quite a few lower down from us who have lambs out, i just dread to think about it, anything without a full belly will be frozen to the ground in this. I know farmers are renowned for moaning, but this has been a cruel winter for outlying stock and it's not finished yet. Last year we'd covered the pastures with the first application of fertilizer by now, this year i think we'll need a hovercraft to get on the land when it finally warms up, unfortunately grass looks like being very scarce this spring!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, 844john said:

It is here too Paul, we keep getting some horrendous snow showers with very strong winds and it is bitterly cold, pick up said -3, with the wind chill it feels much colder. Everything is frozen solid, sheep all in for lambing but the water troughs are all frozen and the snow is blowing in through the Yorkshire boarding and covering the straw, thank God we haven't quite started lambing yet. There are quite a few lower down from us who have lambs out, i just dread to think about it, anything without a full belly will be frozen to the ground in this. I know farmers are renowned for moaning, but this has been a cruel winter for outlying stock and it's not finished yet. Last year we'd covered the pastures with the first application of fertilizer by now, this year i think we'll need a hovercraft to get on the land when it finally warms up, unfortunately grass looks like being very scarce this spring!

i remember years ago , possabably  the early 90's a lambing time like this  and the yowes were dropping the lambs and leaving them , every bit of the buildings were full of sheep with weak lambs , even the hay lofts had yowes n lambs in . the fields were just pure mud , guessing farmers are also having to buy in more fodder n bedding at a premium price now . 

you mentioned frozen solid , I hated when the byres froze , that's when you find out just how much water a bloody cow needs , more so when on a hay diet 

• Like 2

It is looking bleak at the moment David, I know people talk about lambing storms and it is not at all unusual to have snow this time of year, but what we're getting at the moment is more like mid winter conditions than early spring, it is bloody freezing in that wind, when i came back off the bike from feeding some outlying tups and checking the gimmer hoggs my coat was as stiff as a board with ice, for anyone lambing outside in this the losses must be tremendous.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 844john said:

WP_20180317_17_11_14_Pro.jpg

pretty much the same over the hill at Allendale john , fortunately the hill lads are a month off lambing , but as you say , they still need feeding n checking , hopefully all present and not buried behind the dykes with snow 

Horrendous would describe the weather perfectly john, the only blessing is Im not lambing either not till the end of the month, but I'm just a bit worried that too much of this and the stress will start causing problems. .