Will we ever see Spalding again??

watermill

When life has a chance to get to a normal, albeit a new normal will Spalding still go ahead? 
And what is the future of other shows? is there an appetite for other (new) shows should some of the current (pre pandemic) shows not continue in the future?? 

9 hours ago, watermill said:

When life has a chance to get to a normal, albeit a new normal will Spalding still go ahead? 
And what is the future of other shows? is there an appetite for other (new) shows should some of the current (pre pandemic) shows not continue in the future?? 

An interesting one Charlie.  I think we are all of the opinion that at least in the short term, the pandemic will change life - to a greater or lesser extent - permanently.

Certain trade only shows were, I would suggest, in decline as the ongoing effect of online sales bit into their market share, the pandemic can only have sped this up.  On the flip side those with a display bias were the opposite.  Consumers of the product are more tech savvy now - perhaps leading to a permenant partial shift to sourcing remotely.  This could therefore impact on the viability of shows, certainly you would have to be brave starting a new one up I would say.

As for Spalding specifically, this was the only show I went to - just because of work and family committments and I do live in Suffolk - so I have to travel a long way to get anywhere!  I think it would be a great shame to lose any shows as they are a 'traditional' part of our hobby and a great place to chew the cud with folks, however, I can't see a return to a pre-pandemic show calendar soon - if at all.

For me I buy my models in bulk from shows, I save through the year and buy most at the shows as begrudge paying £5 to £10 worth of postage on one model, they are expensive as they are.... The shows have a certain atmosphere with like minded people looking for that long lost model they need for there own collection.

I agree, an interesting question. Personally, I do think that there will always be a place for the shows as I think that the social aspect of them is often overlooked. I only manage to get to a couple a year, namely Penrith and Newby, but for me, probably the biggest enjoyment is catching up with people, many of whom i only get to see once a year at the show. There are still a number of people who enjoy the hobby that are involved in farming, and it can be a solitary occupation, I know I'm not alone in that I can go several days without speaking to anyone other than family, so days away are important as a means of a little social interaction with like minded weirdos!:D

I hope they come back.  I've never been to one, but would like to, I've been on this forum almost 15 years and have never met anyone in person! I never liked people invading my personal space before all this, but I do hope for the day when we can attend events and not have to wear masks and use hand gel all the time! 

If you'd have asked 5 years ago I would have said shows had no future. Why would anyone bother just to buy some models. But having since travelled to places like Moira and Toytrac they seem to be thriving, and the environment amongst diorama builders is fantastic.

I think Andy B makes a good point and I believe trade only shows will lack a future. Good shows, regardless of their theme (country fairs, traction engine rallies, game fairs) have something to attract the whole family. That's how the Great Dorset Steam Fair has grown to the scale it is. Nobody is successfully dragging the wife and kids around a markee looking at box after box of models for sale.

Penrith/Lakeland is the perfect example, you walk through the door and leave someone in the sales hall, while you take the kids round dioramas, keeping them entertained. Then when they're bored, which they will get, you can explore the rest of the Rheghed centre. Shows go so much further than the items on display, and it's only those that realise that that are truly succeeding. 

Admittedley Moira breaks this trend, but it is almost designed around the working man, and geographically well placed, anyone in NI can travel to the show on the Friday evening, spend a few hours there and get home without needing 10 extra hours in their day. Something that isn't possible in the mainland UK. 

they will return, although i do wonder about toytrac ?? not seen anything about it for 2021 even mentioned before all this kicked off again , the only thing i could do with is the big ones being a bit more central, toytrac is a 2 hr drive traffic and weather allowing for me, spalding and others just dont cost in , would be a couple of days ,with hotel as they are 4/5 hour drives otherwise , spalding is nearer 6 . having done that up and back in a day, once 16 hours in total, it wont happen again. this is also why i do  zwolle on alternate years, by the time you put in 2/3 days holiday, to allow for travel either side  plus ferry or train crossing costs ,plus 2 nights at the hotel, the food and drink(always to much drink ) it soon mounts up, that said its so worth it ,even compared to spalding .  but i suspect thats now a thing of the past, so i might have to start looking at spalding again .

I believe that shows like Spalding will go ahead but that they may need to change especially if the EU sellers find that it is uneconomic for them to come over. That will leave huge gaps in the layout of the stalls. One way to fill them might be for Spalding to become a bit more like Toytrac and for them to encourage dioramas to keep up the interest and ideas.

I am hoping that the LCN show in Holland does go ahead at some time, whether it is in Zwolle or at another venue is yet to be decided and, I for one, would still like to go as you see things and find rarities there that you just don't get in the UK shows.

All these shows will come back including Spalding.  And when they do ..we will be overwhelmed by them all. Its just 2021 is still vèry uncertain and I cant see any public events such as concerts, fairs, shows off all sorts happening until the final quarter off this year at the earliest. It all comes down to how quick the vaccine can be rolled out. Tough personally I do think our governments should take a New Zealand and Aussie approach to how they handle the Covid. The UK and Ireland are both island nations surrounded by water..They should cut off outside travel for 2 to 3 months to eradicate this virus and our return to normality would then come alot quicker. 

There could some bigger hits in store for shows involving the movement of machinery between other countries and the UK yet, that includes ploughing matches and similar. The legislation makes grim reading at the moment if you’re fans of them. 

I now this topic is about Spalding toy fair and other toy fairs , there is a meeting sometime this week so i am told about the CEREALS show that is held in June ,this year it is supposed to be up in Lincolnshire, as it is a outside show they are hopeful that it can take place      

42 minutes ago, smithy said:

I now this topic is about Spalding toy fair and other toy fairs , there is a meeting sometime this week so i am told about the CEREALS show that is held in June ,this year it is supposed to be up in Lincolnshire, as it is a outside show they are hopeful that it can take place      

No mention of it being canceled on their web site, So could take place,

https://www.cerealsevent.co.uk/news

Regards

Joe.

I suspect it will come down to how much social distancing will be the new normal, so could limit amount of visitors allowed in.

Also how much is the Insurance to run/attend an event going to cost when it dose get back to normal?

16 minutes ago, smithy said:

I had a email yesterday from the event manager Kate Walsh say that LAMMA which had been put back till the 25-26 May had now been cancelled ,The next Lamma will be 11-12 January 2022 

Something we expected to happen where I’m working so we hadn’t put too much thought into planning things for the event yet

Springfields Exhibition Centre is currently one of the area's Mass vaccination centres so the venue will be out of action for a while yet anyway. I'd say 2022 is likely to be when shows may return. Still a lot of unknowns to process first, specifically how well vaccination stands up to next Autumn winter. Summer shows could be way forwards Short term but I'd expect venue pricing to be astronomical. 

Archived