Whats on your workbench???

These three are still on the workbench, have been for 6 months! John Deere’s are Siku based with a cast bonnet from Aaron on here for the 6930 and artisan front linkages! The Imber ford was a 20 minute job this afternoon just need to tidy up with some paint!

2C9BB429-FD26-4B98-BC48-A0D5DCD3C3E1.jpeg

F7ACD972-E9F6-4714-AE66-26870067B920.jpeg

A5BCFEBF-EF1C-4112-AB9B-0826E69C5993.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I bought an airbrush and a small compressor for modelling, but I’ve never got round to using it, preferring to stay with rattle cans.

I’ve been building the Scaledown Matteo, and without a suitable aerosol of Empire blue, thought I’d finally try it out.

Ok, can’t find the airbrush! But did have a small draper one that came free with something. Let’s at least try that.

Different fitting on the compressor! But did have a can of airbrush propellant in the shed...... bought before the compressor. Everything written says these cans are a nightmare to use.

Anyway, might as well try it now. Scaledown Empire blue thinned down ( very approximately!!) and off we go........

First time using an airbrush and I’m quite pleased with the results. Let’s see what it looks like tomorrow.......

6B471B87-271D-4F14-98D8-EB144B095372.jpeg

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, GPS said:

Some years ago I bought an airbrush and a small compressor for modelling, but I’ve never got round to using it, preferring to stay with rattle cans.

I’ve been building the Scaledown Matteo, and without a suitable aerosol of Empire blue, thought I’d finally try it out.

Ok, can’t find the airbrush! But did have a small draper one that came free with something. Let’s at least try that.

Different fitting on the compressor! But did have a can of airbrush propellant in the shed...... bought before the compressor. Everything written says these cans are a nightmare to use.

Anyway, might as well try it now. Scaledown Empire blue thinned down ( very approximately!!) and off we go........

First time using an airbrush and I’m quite pleased with the results. Let’s see what it looks like tomorrow.......

Same here, bought an airbrush and all the gear 4 years ago, never used it, also preferring to use the rattle cans, must give it a go this summer though, i'll never know unless i give it a go.

14 hours ago, Barry said:

Same here, bought an airbrush and all the gear 4 years ago, never used it, also preferring to use the rattle cans, must give it a go this summer though, i'll never know unless i give it a go.

I don't have an airbrush, but am getting very fed up with the limitations and expense of rattle cans

I must look into getting an airbrush, and moving from enamels to acrylics

On 6/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, Janval said:

Getting somewhere at least, only question is whether to cut of the rear end as well to make the hitch sit further in. Honestly getting sick of cutting these already :lol:15914526551512244577954507772519.thumb.jpg.afc70292ee75e42733186c239b331650.jpg

I bought a couple of Britain’s metal hitches, with the idea of grafting on to these castings. Ok still a bit crude, but quick and relatively easy, then can be posed with standard implements

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPN said:

I don't have an airbrush, but am getting very fed up with the limitations and expense of rattle cans

I must look into getting an airbrush, and moving from enamels to acrylics

I’ll be honest, it was always the faff of setting up and cleaning everything afterwards that put me off. 

I asked a question a while ago about whether Scaledown enamels were easy to airbrush and got the reply that they were very good.

The results this morning would back that up, the finish is way smoother, even and shinier than I’ve had before, and I’ve used about 1/2 a tinlet for the full model......I may well be a convert!

Next would be to try acrylics, which should be an easier clean up, but I think less forgiving on mixture and air pressure.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, GPS said:

6B471B87-271D-4F14-98D8-EB144B095372.jpeg

That looks very very good. I have battled with the cheap airbrushes before and never got on with them, as you mention the faf of cleaning them out puts me off most. But every time I go to the car body supply shop the owner tells me off as his aerosols are three times the price of the same volume of paint! 

After seeing this I will be pulling the half decent airbrush that came in an auction job lot of tools and having another go.

Was it easier to get paint coverage in nooks and crannies such as around the linkage? I always end up going far to heavy with aerosol just to get all over coverage. 

4 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

That looks very very good. I have battled with the cheap airbrushes before and never got on with them, as you mention the faf of cleaning them out puts me off most. But every time I go to the car body supply shop the owner tells me off as his aerosols are three times the price of the same volume of paint! 

After seeing this I will be pulling the half decent airbrush that came in an auction job lot of tools and having another go.

Was it easier to get paint coverage in nooks and crannies such as around the linkage? I always end up going far to heavy with aerosol just to get all over coverage. 

I'd been wanting to complete the Matbro for a while but did not have an aerosol of the correct blue, my first choice, only Nigel's tinlets. Had the afternoon free, so thought, plenty of time, no rush give it a go. As I said, first hour trying to find airbrush and connect to compressor, which all went nowhere!

I used a very cheap (free with a magazine subscription) draper airbrush and a can of propellant. Dumped a new ( well stirred) tinlet of paint into the spray bottle and just pored in again the same amount of enamel thinners. I had no control on air pressure. I had several assemblies so lightly sprayed the first one, moved on ,etc and then back to the first one for another light coat, kept doing this until I had the paint all over and a uniform colour.

Certainly on the linkages, it was way easier to control than an aerosol. I did go a little heavy on the bonnet, but "wicked" a few heavy areas off with the corner of a paper towel, left a few minutes and oversprayed again.

Overall way more controllable than an aerosol.

To be fair clean up was pretty easy too, used white spirit and sprayed through into a jam jar and then a wipe down.

I make no pretense, I just bodged my way through it, but it's a better finish than I've had with an aerosol. Takes a long time to dry though (days), probably due to the amount of thinners used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catkom3 said:

As said air brushes can be a pain to clean,I always wondered what these reusable can's would be like,

https://www.exportersindia.com/synbright/synbright-refillable-aerosol-spray-can-taichung-taiwan-401412.htm

Regards

Joe

That looks interesting Joe, never seen that before. I would probably have given that a go over an airbrush! But now I'm a convert.....at least for Scaledown enamels. I don't for one second think I'm going to get the same results with acrylic's on a car kit.....yet!! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

An airbrush will always give a superior finish but you need to invest in a good airbrush.  Cleaning is just a pain you have to live with, 5 mins to mix the paint, 1 minute applying the paint, 10 mins cleaning the airbrush. With a good brush you can control the amount of paint to any area and getting into those nooks and crannies is not a problem. I suppose it’s down to the amount of painting you do in a year to make the investment in a good airbrush worthwhile.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GPS said:

That looks interesting Joe, never seen that before. I would probably have given that a go over an airbrush! But now I'm a convert.....at least for Scaledown enamels. I don't for one second think I'm going to get the same results with acrylic's on a car kit.....yet!! 

Cheers Gavin,I would not have known about them either unless I'd spotted them in a retailers shop I used to deliver to over twenty years ago,There is also a rather dodgey caper of de-gassing aerosols to use in an airbrush,???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqVnb7_FDrE&t=558s

Regards

Joe.

2 hours ago, GPS said:

I make no pretense, I just bodged my way through it, but it's a better finish than I've had with an aerosol. Takes a long time to dry though (days), probably due to the amount of thinners used. 

Thank you for the detailed response, a case of new is scary and requires practice, so easy to just stick with what's familiar. 

1 hour ago, Kirely said:

An airbrush will always give a superior finish but you need to invest in a good airbrush.  Cleaning is just a pain you have to live with, 5 mins to mix the paint, 1 minute applying the paint, 10 mins cleaning the airbrush. With a good brush you can control the amount of paint to any area and getting into those nooks and crannies is not a problem. I suppose it’s down to the amount of painting you do in a year to make the investment in a good airbrush worthwhile.

Dad buys and sells at auction all the time and returned one day with an airbrush and compressor, given the fancy wooden box it's presented in, and how silent the compressor is I think they're quite high quality brands, I forget the name now. 

As you say cleaning is an unavoidable pain, when spraying large quantities and multiple colours over short periods of time I imagine a less thorough clean is required, and it's just a case of making sure everything gets a deep clean before being put away for any long period of time. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GPS said:

Finished the Scaledown Matbro today.... I've really enjoyed building this, and first time using an airbrush to paint. Have to decide what to build next, but I fancy a change from blue!

Pictured alongside the UH Ford 5000 to give an idea of size.

Matbro.jpg

That looks a very smart job Gavin, you certainly look to have mastered the airbrush! How about some red and white for your next projects?;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1