Whats on your workbench???

Hi all,

As scalemodeller i'm always working on several projects at the same time. It prevents me from being bored......🤣

So, working on the Caterpillar D8H i started the Landini-project, and while this is finished, i started another new project: On a product-show at te local Volvo BM importer i bought myself a simple but realistic model of a Volvo BM A35 dumper, back in 1995. It always had a charactrer of a toy, but in the back of my mind i saw possibilities to re-shape it to a nice scalemodel. That's the idea behind the project!

First of all i started looking for more realistic tires, which i found as spareparts on the Playmobil website. Yes, indeed: THE playmobil, toy-manufacturer! Shown on the first two pictures there's a grey variant of this tyre, but later on i found black versions. With these tires on the model, it will have much more apearance!

Yesterday i airbrushed the model in the right color, as it clearly had the looks of plastic. Which of course was right, because it's been made from plastic. But having the right color also makes it more realistic!

Time for the pictures:

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.c8ca6cb605c04fa4dd0e8a491c20b225.JPG

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.74ad9ad824a02be940cea4c217137a35.JPG

Two pictures above show the model with a "fitting" of new tires, but in grey variant.

IMG_6349.thumb.JPG.886838d224aa305736c398c8e370a5cf.JPG

IMG_6350.thumb.JPG.2cfbe66cdbc0a3b07f8a8e1f32770a02.JPG

IMG_6351.thumb.JPG.a1c42cb077a3b5cbf16a05b38525cc83.JPG

IMG_6352.thumb.JPG.dcd08116816b86dbcc65b6dfa8097275.JPG

Paint-work being done yesterday. Thanks to Zero-Paints with the right color!

To be continued.

Best regards,

Jan

Edited by WHITESNAKE01
  • Like 2

first blue one assembled, this is near as final now, made one adjustment i found while putting this together, but overall thats it, just need to perfect the grain sides, and  the silage top. the 8 ton is under design, as the chassis is different for the twin wheels, and i have raised the sides of the base by 5 mm, its an option with them anyway  so it makes it a bit different to this the bar just twin wheels. not actually tried printing that out yet though,that will only have a grain top as an option as according to the brochure they didnt do it in silage above 6 ton ??? not cat the wheels yet, job for my week of soon, so its on a s et of james tepers for now, doesnt look to bad to be honest .

8D207017-9CF2-49B3-B3C3-5761D2014DE8.jpeg

0BA853B7-B096-4EF8-AA67-324CA15FCAFC.jpeg

A018C53B-8205-4CF7-AFE6-D646EDE3063E.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, SPN said:

It's really coming together now Sean.

What are the 1:1 dimensions of the trailer you are modelling?

its a six ton stan, same body as the 8 ton, just single axel and ram, 8 tons in progress  just doing the chassis as thats really all thats different . i thought it looked to big till i read the next page of the brochure and saw the 8 tons dimensions bed wise😀😀 

Now your CAD savvy, it's fairly easy to sketch / print almost anything, For over 6 years I depended on Yeggi / Thingiverse etc, Now any part I need I sketch up myself and print it, Also you might be able to avoid makeing new sketch's for the slightly bigger trailer merely by re-scaling them in your slicer, Also if your making left and right sided part's if the hinges and "clasps" are at the same spaceing you can simply "mirror" them in the slicer, saves an awful lot of sketching.

Regards

Joe.

9 hours ago, catkom3 said:

Now your CAD savvy, it's fairly easy to sketch / print almost anything, For over 6 years I depended on Yeggi / Thingiverse etc, Now any part I need I sketch up myself and print it, Also you might be able to avoid makeing new sketch's for the slightly bigger trailer merely by re-scaling them in your slicer, Also if your making left and right sided part's if the hinges and "clasps" are at the same spaceing you can simply "mirror" them in the slicer, saves an awful lot of sketching.

Regards

Joe.

Ah with you joe, my head wasnt on properly yesterday 😆 will have a look at it its a very simple one in the plough i am working from so it may be as easy to make ? Will see 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

Wow Sean you are busy at the moment, those trailers look absolutely great 

cheers,sadly work is getting in the way at the mo, but i am off next week so i can hopefully wife and “ jobs allowing, actually get one or two finished, got to cast the wheels and tyres first 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:54 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Scalpel in hand on this one for the first time in a while, they're a big old bit of kit these mastenbroeks, certainly testing the grey matter between the ears! 

IMG_20220305_205148.thumb.jpg.77a6943087afd5b5e5579ee5934ba844.jpg

Hey James,

Very good looking machine!!!!

Really nice undercarriage too, home-made / 3D-printed? Or something else?

Keep up the good work!

BR

Jan

Hi all,

Making some progress in the process of re-shaping the Volvo BM A35 dumper: after airbrushing new, original color, making and placing new decals, airbrushing clearcoat and re-assembling again. This time WITH the new Playmobil-tires!!

IMG_6483.thumb.jpeg.3a518b7996b9da48d7102947e37686f2.jpeg

IMG_6578.thumb.JPG.c9c26c2087a7b2999a4864a45be3e604.JPG

IMG_6579.thumb.JPG.9b9f569c950603d326a282e72fe90a88.JPG

IMG_6580.thumb.JPG.80e167f2c5e1927d59c4b0bdda2c4be4.JPG

IMG_6581.thumb.JPG.44d4f2ee876acb6539d294489591f71d.JPG

Only need to re-mount the cilinders again, after the attempt failed to make them look shiny with aluminium bare metal foil, as if they were really chromed. But unfortunately there was too little space in between the cilinder-parts, so when shoving-in, it wrapped-up.........

Best regards,

Jan

• Like 5

12 hours ago, WHITESNAKE01 said:

Hey James,

Very good looking machine!!!!

Really nice undercarriage too, home-made / 3D-printed? Or something else?

Keep up the good work!

BR

Jan

Thank you Jan, yes the undercarriage has been designed and 3D printed by myself.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:29 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Really starting to see the possibilites 3D printers can offer. Just not as enjoyable as hand work, think the upper body work on this will be off the craft knife, spend enough time staring at computer screens at work! 

IMG_20220215_211051.jpg

IMG_20220215_211153.jpg

IMG_20220215_212132.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Thank you Jan, yes the undercarriage has been designed and 3D printed by myself.

Hi,

As i mentioned: really nice work James!! Scale is 1:32 i asume?

I'd like to keep following your process. Is there a specific post you've made for it?

Best regards,

Jan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WHITESNAKE01 said:

Hi,

As i mentioned: really nice work James!! Scale is 1:32 i asume?

I'd like to keep following your process. Is there a specific post you've made for it?

Best regards,

Jan

Thank you, yes it is 1:32 scale. I have a habit of starting projects and not finishing them so I have not made a specific topic, when some more progress is made I will start a new topic.

• Like 1